| 18.6°C Dublin

Inquest recommendation Gardai reviewing approach to handling concerns about people who have access to guns

The review comes following a jury recommendation from the inquest into the deaths of Tadg, Mark and Diarmuid O’Sullivan

Close

Scene of the tragedy

Scene of the tragedy

Scene of the tragedy

Gardaí have started a review to examine whether they need to change their approach when concerns are raised about people who have access to guns. 

The review comes following a jury recommendation from the inquest into the deaths of Tadg, Mark and Diarmuid O’Sullivan in Kanturk, Co Cork, last year.

The jury called for the review when it emerged during the inquest that concerns had been raised with Gardaí.

Gardaí confirmed that a review is now underway. In a statement it said: “An Garda Síochána has received a copy of the written verdict in this case and the matter is currently under review by An Garda Síochána.”

Close

The coffins of Tadg O’Sullivan and his son Diarmuid leave St Mary’s Church in Castlemagner, Co Cork after their funeral service (Andy Gibson/PA)

The coffins of Tadg O’Sullivan and his son Diarmuid leave St Mary’s Church in Castlemagner, Co Cork after their funeral service (Andy Gibson/PA)

The coffins of Tadg O’Sullivan and his son Diarmuid leave St Mary’s Church in Castlemagner, Co Cork after their funeral service (Andy Gibson/PA)

The inquest found that Mark, who had been shot seven times, was unlawfully killed by his father Tadg and brother Diarmuid. The two men subsequently took their own lives near the farmhouse at Raheen, near Kanturk.

During the inquest, jurors heard that Louise Sherlock had expressed concern for the safety of Mark and her cousin, the boys’ mother Anne O’Sullivan.

Ms O’Sullivan fled the house and raised the alarm with neighbours, but has since passed away.

In a later statement, Ms Sherlock said she had said she was “extremely concerned” for the safety of Anne and Mark.

She said in the weeks before the murder-suicides, Tadg had said to her “this would all be over in a couple of weeks”.

He had also said there would be a “road of carnage”.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy