Fatal stabbing Gardaí 'not looking for anyone else' after woman arrested over murder of OAP in Dublin
Gardai were alerted to the tragedy when the female suspect was observed acting in an an "agitated state"
A woman has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a pensioner well known to her was stabbed to death in a shocking incident.
The body of the victim, who is in her 80s, was discovered at her home in Dublin's north inner city this morning.
The discovery was made after officers attended the scene on First Avenue, just off Seville Place, at approximately 11:50am.
Gardaí are not looking for any other suspects in relation to the murder which senior sources say is "most likely linked to mental health issues."
Gardaí were alerted to the tragedy when the female suspect was observed acting in an an "agitated state" by people in the locality.
The suspect was not previously known to Gardaí.
A local woman told the Sunday World she was shocked to hear the sad news.
"To hear something like this happen to a woman in her 80s is terrible," she said.
A garda spokesman said the woman is believed to have suffered fatal injuries and her body remains at the scene.
"The scene is currently preserved and a technical examination will be carried out by the Garda Technical Bureau. The Office of the State Pathologist has been notified and a post-mortem will be conducted later today.
"A female aged in her 40s, has been arrested on suspicion of murder in relation to this incident. She is currently detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Store Street Garda station.
"Investigations are ongoing."
"Gardaí in Store Street are appealing to any person who may have information in relation to this incident to contact them.
"Any person with any information which may be relevant to the Garda investigation should contact Store Street Garda Station on 01 666 8089, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station."
- Kinahan cartel criminal admits role in feud murder of Noel 'Duck Egg' Kirwan
- Crime World Long Read: Thomas 'Bomber' Kavanagh - from low-level dealer to Ireland's most-feared mob boss (Part 2)
- Killer who assaulted barrister during murder trial can't find lawyer for his appeal
- Armed raider who warned shop assistant 'he knew where he lived', jailed for three years
- Three released from custody as gardai continue probe into Finglas feud
- Senator found not guilty of assaulting man during brawl outside Louth pub
- Man (33) pleads guilty to possession of handgun used to shoot Sinead Connolly
- Claire Byrne reveals she is leaving her RTE TV show after seven years on air
- Country star Cliona Hagan shares stunning wedding photos of her and new husband Simon Sheerin
- 'Violent and dangerous' killer who threatened to kill garda spared return to jail