| 5.3°C Dublin

Halloween scare Gardai issue fresh warning about dangers of cannabis jellies following Dublin seizure

'With Halloween approaching gardaí are again reminding the public of the dangers these products pose to our younger citizens'

Close

The seizure in Ballycullen as revealed by gardai

The seizure in Ballycullen as revealed by gardai

The seizure in Ballycullen as revealed by gardai

Gardai have posted a fresh warning about the dangers of cannabis jellies following the latest seizure in Dublin. 

Officers posted images of the jellies as well as cash that were discovered earlier this week by Divisional Drugs Units from DMR North and South in the course of a search operation in Ballycullen.

Gardai said investigations are ongoing.

“With Halloween approaching gardaí are again reminding the public of the dangers these products pose to our younger citizens,” they wrote on Facebook past.

“An Garda Síochána would also refer to warnings issued by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland.”

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) had said there is likely to be “an increased risk” of children and teenagers accidentally consuming jelly sweets containing the psychoactive cannabis component tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Many of these cannabis edibles are “intentionally packaged” to look like popular candy brands to avoid detection.

The FSAI says that the high concentrations of THC in these “illicit edible sweets” can pose serious health risks to teenagers and young children, affecting their “neurological, physical and physiological development.”

The organisation is concerned that children are at risk of overdosing on these jellies as they resemble ordinary sweets, often eating more than one, and causing them to have “cognitive and motor impairment” for up to 36 hours after consumption.

To date this year, six children under the age of ten have been hospitalised after accidentally consuming edible cannabis jellies.

There have also been several reports of teenagers falling seriously ill and, in some cases, requiring hospitalisation after “having seizures and becoming unconscious” from overdosing on cannabis edibles.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Dr Pamela Byrne, Chief Executive of the FSAI, said the accidental consumption of edible cannabis products by children is extremely worrying.

“We know adults and/or teenagers are ordering these illegal products from online or other illegal sources for their own personal use,” she said.

“However, they often have no understanding of the real health dangers of these products and are careless or reckless in putting young children’s health at risk by allowing them access to these products.

“The prevalence of these edible products containing THC in communities and schools around the country is a growing cause for concern and parents and guardians should be extra vigilant during festivities such as Halloween where parties will be underway, and the risk of accidental consumption of these products is considerably higher.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy