| 13.6°C Dublin

No arrests yet Gardai examine CCTV footage in bid to identify suspects involved in assault on Jack Woolley

Olympic hero was attacked on a night out in Dublin city centre

Close

Jack Woolley

Jack Woolley

Jack Woolley

Gardai are examining excellent quality CCTV footage in a bid to identify a number of suspects who were involved in the savage assault on Irish Olympian Jack Woolley.

The taekwondo athlete and two other people were set upon on Dublin’s Liffey boardwalk on Friday night.

There have been no arrests in the case which is being investigated by Store Street gardai.

The group involved in the assaults consisted of between eight and 12 people, both male and female who had earlier been part of a crowd of over 200 people who had been in the Capel Street area.

“It is now a case of gathering and analysing the footage to try and identify these people, many of whom were running off in different directions,” a senior source explained.

“There were two other people randomly assaulted in the area around the same time including a female who suffered a bump on the head after a missile, probably bottle was thrown at her.

“Another male required hospital treatment after he suffered stiches,” the source added.

Horrific pictures taken after the incident showed the Olympian badly beaten with blood all over his clothes.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio One’s Morning Ireland, Jack said the incident occurred on what was his first time out in Dublin since the Olympics.

“It was a shock. I saw a lot in the media about anti-social behaviour in the city, but I wasn’t worried because I hadn’t seen it firsthand, I wasn’t worried going around in the city I grew up in,” he said.

“I was the first one I recall being attacked and I was the last one put in an ambulance, that's how bad the other injuries were.

“My top lip came off, I had to get my lip put back on – I had to get it washed out and the way it was cut, I had a hole in my face, I had to get the front and the back stitched. I’m wearing a plaster now and I'm trying to speak as clearly as possible with it,” he said.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The 22-year-old said he is taking every day as it comes, and he is “getting on with things as they are”.

“I'm back in on Friday to get the stitches removed. The swelling is coming down, it's tender I’m just trying to take my painkillers and the medication I've been prescribed. I'm grateful it wasn't worse,” he added.

He said he shared a taxi with two other people who were hit in the face with bottles.

“I got one punch and then 'sorry wrong person' and they ran off, but then other people were hit further down the street as well.

"I'm not going to say I’m scared of going out in Dublin - I feel like it’s a one-off thing that can happen, a random attack. It won't happen too often to the same person,” he said.

Mr Woolley commented on the fact that many people are out on the street “because that’s where you have to be if you're not vaccinated, so I think there’s a lot of people at risk”.

Ireland’s first taekwondo competitor plans to get back to training as soon as possible.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy