| 6.8°C Dublin

'Grotesque crime' Gardai believe torso of murdered teen was buried within 24 hours of his death

Senior sources said that while notorious criminal Robbie Lawlor is the chief suspect for the murder, officers have “no information” that it was the slain gangland serial killer who actually buried the boy’s torso.

Close

A Garda logs GPS co-ordinates  this afternoon at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where partial human remains were discovered yesterday, thought to be those of a teenager murdered early last year.

A Garda logs GPS co-ordinates this afternoon at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where partial human remains were discovered yesterday, thought to be those of a teenager murdered early last year.

A Garda logs GPS co-ordinates this afternoon at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where partial human remains were discovered yesterday, thought to be those of a teenager murdered early last year.

Gardai believe that the torso of a teenager was buried in waste ground within 24 hours of him being brutally murdered and his body dismembered in a house of horrors in Drogheda.

In the 14 months since the murder that shocked the nation, it is understood that the “hole” in which he was buried became exposed and animals may have interfered with the remains of the tragic 17-year-old.

Senior sources said that while notorious criminal Robbie Lawlor is the chief suspect for the murder, officers have “no information” that it was the slain gangland serial killer who actually buried the boy’s torso.

“We are aware of the rumours that he buried the torso but Robbie may well have been busy with other things at that time including distributing other body parts in different parts of north Dublin.

“It truly is a grotesque and shocking crime,” a senior source said.

Close

Gardai pictured at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where partial human remains were discovered

Gardai pictured at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where partial human remains were discovered

Gardai pictured at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where partial human remains were discovered

Gardai have officially confirmed that the skeletal remains found on Thursday afternoon are human and senior sources believe they are those of the murdered teenager.

“Everything indicates that it is him and his family have been informed that this is a distinct possibility,” the source pointed out.

However this will not be officially confirmed until DNA testing is completed next week and the waste ground where the human remains were found will be searched for a fourth day tomorrow.

“Following on from searches at Rathmullen Park in Drogheda, partial human skeletal remains have been removed from the scene,” a garda spokesman said today.

“They have been taken to the Dublin City Morgue in Whitehall where a post-mortem will take place.

“The search area remains sealed off and searches are ongoing,” he added.

The remains were discovered hidden in overgrown bushes in a ravine and also under soil at the site.

Garda intelligence had indicated that the boy’s torso was to “be delivered” to the compound of opposing gang boss Cornelius Price in Gormanston, Co Meath, after the child was dismembered as a grim warning to the now jailed gangster who was friendly with the 17-year-old murder victim.

However did this did not happen after gardai became aware that the limbs of the murdered teen had been dumped in a sports bag in Darndale, north Dublin, close to the home of another bitter mob rival of Lawlor.

This led to a massive garda investigation which spooked the criminals and may have meant the torso was never moved after being dumped in the waste ground within 24 hours of the murder.

“Drogheda was in lockdown after those remains were dumped in Darndale – the criminals had no where to go with the torso,” the source pointed out.

The juvenile male cannot be named for legal reasons but his brutal murder in Drogheda and dismemberment of his body caused nationwide shock last year.

Eight people have already been arrested in the massive murder investigation with two men already before the courts in relation to it.

Senior sources say that a number of other people are expected to be arrested in the coming weeks.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy