| 11.5°C Dublin

Ongoing probe Gardai arrest two more men in nationwide fraud investigation

Both men, one who is aged in his 30s and the other in his 60s, have been brought to Waterford Garda Station where they are being quizzed this afternoon

Close

Stock photo: PA

Stock photo: PA

Stock photo: PA

Gardaí attached to the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB) have arrested two more men as part of an ongoing fraud investigation.

Both men, one who is aged in his 30s and the other in his 60s, have been brought to Waterford Garda Station where they are being quizzed this afternoon.

These latest arrests follow that of a man in his 40s on Tuesday, April 13.

This man was reported by his former employer on suspicion of falsifying records and deceiving applicants into believing he had processed their financial applications.

“This fraudulent activity involved using the personal details of current employees, without their authorisation,” gardai said in a previous statement.

“Further to this, the male attempted to destroy evidence of this criminal activity. Corrupt payments, totalling €17,000, were also made in the form of bribes in order to conceal this criminal activity.”

Gardai said the GNECB had conducted searches earlier this year in Dublin, Waterford, Wicklow and Meath as part of this investigation.

“During the course of these searches, files and electronic storage devices were seized,” they added.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy