| 1.7°C Dublin

Mach the knife Galway Gardaí probe street assault involving knives and a 'machete'

The victim is seen momentarily trapped against a shop window by at least two men before making his escape by running past two others

Close

One of the men appears to be brandishing a machete in the footage

One of the men appears to be brandishing a machete in the footage

One of the men appears to be brandishing a machete in the footage

Gardaí in Galway are investigating an assault involving a machete in the early hours of Sunday morning that left one man injured. 

It follows the circulation of a video online showing a man being chased on Quay Street by a gang who appear to be armed, with at least one brandishing a large knife.

The victim is seen momentarily trapped against a shop window by at least two men before making his escape by running past two others.

As they give chase one of his attackers can be seen carrying what appears to be a machete.

The victim manages to dodge more blows that are aimed at him while a man in a white tracksuit appears to intervene before the video cuts out.

The busy street is seen with other passers-by apparently unaware of the frightening incident taking place.

Gardai said that they are investigating an assault which occurred on the morning of Sunday, October 24.

“The incident occurred shortly after midnight, with a male in his late teens sustaining a non-life threatening injury,” gardai said. “Anyone with information is asked to contact Gardaí in Galway on 091538000.”

This latest incident a young woman being struck with a firework in Galway city centre on Friday.

It is feared that the women may have lost sight in one eye as a result of the attack that took place shortly after midnight.

Large groups of people had been gathering in the square on Thursday night into Friday morning, with some of them letting off fireworks.

The woman was sitting at a bus stop beside the taxi rank in Eyre Square when someone fired a firework across hitting her directly in the face causing “life-changing” injuries.

She was taken to hospital by ambulance and the Sunday World understands she has lost sight in one of her eyes as a result.

It is feared the injury may be permanent.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

No arrests have been made and gardai are appealing for witnesses or anyone with footage of the incident to contact them.

The person responsible for the attack could face up to five years in prison if apprehended and convicted.

It is just the latest incident where people have been targeted by gangs in the area launching fireworks.

A gang of youths also targeted people walking through Eyre Square last weekend. One woman had to receive medical attention to her back after a firework hit her and burnt through her clothing.

Local Fianna Fail Councillor Alan Cheevers said he feared someone could be killed unless illegal fireworks are taken off the streets.

“There was a very serious incident. There was a gathering of youths in Eyre Square and there was a young woman sitting at a bus stop across the square and a firework hit her. She got a serious injury.

“The reality is this is an issue in Galway and across the country. We’ve seen this time and time again.

“Unfortunately, these fireworks get into the hands of young people who are not responsible with them and we have incidents like what happened in Eyre Square this week and other incidents across the country. “

He said there has been ongoing issues with anti-social behaviour in Eyre Square in recent times.

It comes as a top Garda chief has admitted that it may be necessary to close the Square after claims that it has become a “no-go” area at night.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said he would need “another five officers in there” to curb anti-social behaviour, adding, “and I haven’t got them”.

Former mayor of Galway, Councillor Frank Fahy, said Eyre Square had become dangerous at night.

He told a City Joint Policing Committee (JPC) meeting last week that pre-Covid the popular meeting spot was safe.

But now Cllr Fahy said the illegal activity and anti-social behaviour, which was a product of the Covid-19 pandemic and people socialising outdoors, meant people were afraid to visit parts of the city centre at night.

Cllr Owen Hanley told the meeting that there’s an increasingly “unsafe atmosphere” in the city at night.

Cllr Niall McNelis accepted gardaí are doing their best but agreed that he commonly hears complaints that “there isn’t a guard to be seen”.

Chief Superintendent Curley replied that he’d love to have a Garda on every corner of the city Monday to Sunday, but the resources are just not there.

He noted there were a number of serious assaults in the Square over the summer and said a lack of public lighting and CCTV in the area was a significant problem.

In a written reply to the JPC, Chief Supt Curley said that anti-social behaviour issues had been “de-escalated” along the city’s canals, Woodquay and Spanish Arch as a result of extra Garda patrols.

“The resulting consequences have led to crowd movement from these areas (and they) are now congregating at Eyre Square,” he said.

“Garda attention is concentrated on Eyre Square, however the return of students and the continued restrictions has led to increased numbers."

The Chief Superintendent suggested that closing Eyre Square to the public at certain hours might have to be given serious consideration in the future.

Gardaí also confirmed that since January they issued almost 500 fines for breaches of the city’s alcohol bylaws, which prohibit the consumption of alcohol in public spaces.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy