David Barry (72), a retired Cork businessman and former scout leader, was jailed after Judge Sean O'Donnabhain warned Cork Circuit Criminal Court that he had breached every possible concept of trust with his abuse.
Barry had once reached the rank of Regional Cork Commissioner in the now defunct Catholic Boys Scouts of Ireland - one of the most senior scout ranks in Ireland.
The court heard that, for some of his victims, Barry had plied the teens with alcohol when they were staying over at their scout master’s house.
He would also show some of the teens German porn films.
Barry would then creep into their bedrooms at his home and attempt to fondle their private parts.
On occasions, he would enter the boys’ bedrooms in his home while wearing only underpants.
The victims were all aged between 13 and 17 years at the time of the abuse.
One victim described Barry's actions as "vile and self-gratifying".
Another said that while Barry acted as a pillar of the Cork community with his successful photographic business, driving a flash car, living in a large property and even helping to run a children's Santa Grotto each year, he was nothing but "a bad apple in the community."
Judge O'Donnabhain imposed a seven-year prison sentence but agreed to suspend the final two years in light of Barry's plea, his remorse, age and medical issues.
"He breached every concept of care and trust possible," the judge said.
"It would not be unfair to say he preyed on these children."
Barry pleaded guilty to a total of 29 charges of indecent assault and sexual assault stretching back to 1986.
He is one of the highest profile former scout leaders to be jailed for abuse.
Barry was formerly a senior member of the scouting movement in Ireland.
The pensioner previously operated a photographic business in Cork.
Barry, with an address at Montrose, Firgrove Gardens, Bishopstown, Cork, admitted the charges last April when he appeared for the first time before Judge O'Donnabhain at Cork Circuit Criminal Court.
He pleaded guilty to a total of 29 charges of indecent assault and sexual assault on various dates unknown over a period stretching from December 12 1986 to June 30 2008.
The offences involved a total of ten different teenage boys - all of whom are now middle aged All the charges referred to a specific address in Cork.
The ten boys - all former members of the Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland (CBSI) and scout movement - had levelled the complaints involved which triggered a major Garda investigation running over several years in Cork.
Nothing can be published which might identify the victims involved.
All ten boys involved were aged between 13 and 17 at the time of the indecent and sexual assaults.