| 4.2°C Dublin

prison release Ex-teacher jailed for child abuse films is to return to Dublin

Olaf Raetzel was jailed at Preston Crown Court for five months but was released this week for time served and remission.

Close

Olaf Raetzel was sentenced to five months in prison

Olaf Raetzel was sentenced to five months in prison

Olaf Raetzel was sentenced to five months in prison

A social-media content moderator and former teacher who was jailed for possession of child abuse videos is planning to return to Ireland after being released from prison.

German national Olaf Raetzel (51) was extradited from Ireland to the UK last year on foot of a European Arrest Warrant.

He was first arrested in the UK in 2015 after 21 indecent images were recovered on his electronic devices but he went on the run to Dublin.

Among his files were seven videos classed as ‘Category A’ imagery showing sexual activity of children, with girls as young as five among the images.

Raetzel was jailed at Preston Crown Court on February 3 for five months but was released this week for time served and remission.

It is believed hat the former teacher, who worked as a content moderator for a social-media giant in Dublin, plans to return to Ireland.

One source said: “Gardaí have intelligence that he has been in contact with various people here and wants to return where he lived while on the run from the police.

“The crimes he admitted to are serious so whether the people he associated with here even want him back is another question.”

Raetzel was first arrested in the Ormskirk area of West Lancashire in May 2015 after police seized a laptop, USB device and tablet. The devices were analysed and police recovered 21 files containing images of child abuse.

Earlier this month, Preston Crown Court was told there were seven videos classed as Category A, five videos in Category B and nine Category C photographs.

There were also further inaccessible files whose names alluded to illicit content. His browser history was also ­suggestive of illegal content.

Prosecutors said the youngest children in the videos were estimated to be aged between five and eight, while the majority involved girls believed to be aged 9-15.

The length of videos ranged between two and 38 minutes.

During his police interviews, Raetzel gave no comment to investigators and was released on bail, but failed to turn up to an appointment with police in November 2015. He relocated to Dublin, where he lived in the Santry area before being arrested and extradited last year.

In December he pleaded guilty in Preston to three counts of possessing indecent images of children.

The court was told he had no previous convictions.

The judge said had Raetzel been brought before the court in 2015, he was likely to have been handed a five-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

However, she added that as time had now passed and no further offences were committed, this was no longer deemed necessary to protect the public, and she sentenced him to five months in prison.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy