| 9.3°C Dublin

suspicious fines Elvis impersonator head-butted by Anthony Stokes hasn't seen a cent of fine

Stokes was ordered to pay Anthony Bradley €230,000 five years ago after the vicious attack

Close

Anthony Stokes outside the CCJ after he was charged with assault. Picture Credit:Frank McGrath

Anthony Stokes outside the CCJ after he was charged with assault. Picture Credit:Frank McGrath

Anthony Stokes outside the CCJ after he was charged with assault. Picture Credit:Frank McGrath

AN Elvis impersonator who was viciously headbutted by Anthony Stokes says he still hasn't seen a cent of the €230,000 the footballer was ordered to pay him five years ago.

The former Ireland and Celtic star, who has had numerous brushes with the law, also refused to make a small charity donation in lieu of the €230,000, his victim Anthony Bradley told the Sunday World.

Stokes was back in the news this week when he had a prosecution for a separate alleged head-butt attack on an English tourist in Dublin's Temple Bar struck out because the victim did not want to travel to Ireland for the case.

Stokes (33) had denied the charge of assault causing harm to Fraser Spratt at Fitzgerald's pub on Aston Quay in Dublin on March 16, 2019 and claimed he acted in self defence.

It was the second time Stokes had been before the courts in relation to headbutting someone in a bar.

In 2017, Stokes received a two-year suspended sentence for headbutting Elvis impersonator Anthony Bradley at Buck Whaley's on Leeson Street, Dublin, on June 8, 2013.

Close

Assault victim, Anthony Bradley. Pic Collins Courts.

Assault victim, Anthony Bradley. Pic Collins Courts.

Assault victim, Anthony Bradley. Pic Collins Courts.

Stokes offered €30,000 as a token of his remorse when he appeared in the Circuit Court and committed to paying the amount in two weeks, but never followed through on that promise.

Mr Bradley also took a separate successful civil action in the High Court against Stokes, saying that he effectively gave up his career as an Elvis impersonator after the former Ireland striker headbutted him, leaving him with a broken nose and damaged teeth.

Close

Anthony Bradley performing in his Elvis act

Anthony Bradley performing in his Elvis act

Anthony Bradley performing in his Elvis act

Convicted criminal Stokes, who didn't bother attending the civil action, was ordered to cough up €230,000 in damages in 2017 but still hasn't paid over anything to Mr Bradley.

"He hasn't paid a cent of the €230,000 nor did he pay the €30,000 he offered in the Circuit Criminal Court by way of compensation/remorse accepted by the judge before sentencing," Mr Bradley told the Sunday World.

"I'm more concerned as to how he got off from paying this amount [€30,000] to which the judge took into account as part of her giving a two-year suspended sentence, as I signed papers in the presence of judge and prosecution making it binding."

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The judge in that case later said she had not taken the token of remorse into consideration when sentencing.

In relation to the €230,000 civil award, Mr Bradley said that he told Stokes that he would accept a smaller donation to the HSE instead but Stokes didn't take him up on that offer.

"As to the €230,000 awarded in the civil case, I've asked that he make a small donation to the HSE and I'd cancel his debt, but to date that's not been done. I did this to give him the opportunity to redeem himself and get back on track. Much to my surprise, he's not made an effort."

Stokes attacked Bradley in the VIP section at the Dublin nightclub in June 2013 after one of of the former Celtic star's pals spilled a drink on the victim twice.

Bradley spoke to the pal in a friendly manner before the footballing thug used the full force of his head "as a battering ram," the High Court heard.

Stokes previously hit the headlines due to his friendship with the late New IRA gang leader Alan Ryan, who was shot dead in 2012.

His father John Stokes' former Dublin pub The Player's Lounge was the subject of shootings, garda raids and a robbery before it was burnt down a number of years ago.

Close

Stokes in his Celtic days  Pic: Jeff Holmes/PA Wire

Stokes in his Celtic days Pic: Jeff Holmes/PA Wire

Stokes in his Celtic days Pic: Jeff Holmes/PA Wire

Mr Bradley said he has been left disappointed that Stokes has effectively got away with attacking him.

"Well, it goes to show how weak our justice system is. It certainly sends a message to both the victim and the perpetrator. What's the point in having a justice system if it fails to protect the victim while protecting the perpetrator?"

Mr Bradley was left significantly out of pocket due to the attack with medical costs and loss of earnings.

"I paid all my own costs without any help from the State, such is our justice system," he said.

Stokes has had a number of other brushes with the law over the years.

Last year, a Scottish court ordered him to complete an anti-domestic abuse course after he admitted harassing his ex-girlfriend.

The court heard he followed Eilidh Scott on a number of occasions and shouted abuse at her and also called to her house repeatedly, banging on her door and shouting through her letterbox. He also bombarded her with abusive messages - sometimes up to 100 a day.

He was also banned from contacting Ms Scott or her parents unless she initiated contact to discuss childcare arrangements.

Stokes was back up in court last year accused of breaching that order.

He admitted sending Ms Scott's father offensive and inappropriate text messages about his daughter and repeatedly phoning her mother.

Stokes failed to turn up for his sentencing hearing for those offences and Sheriff Allan McKay later ordered a warrant for his arrest.

Stokes is currently based in Dublin and it's understood the warrant only applies in the UK but he claimed the issue was resolved when asked for comment on the matter by a journalist in Dublin last year.

Stokes, with an address at Wyckham Point in Dundrum, Dublin, walked free from Dublin District Court earlier this week after the 2019 assault charge against him was struck out.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy