| 11.1°C Dublin

Brutal attack Dad jailed for kicking and punching man who later was stabbed by another assailant

A court heard Ormond was on drugs at the time and had little or no recollection of the incident.


Stock image

Stock image

Stock image

A father-of-two has been jailed for kicking and punching a man who moments later was stabbed by another assailant in a violent street attack.

Trevor Ormond (43) was sentenced to nine months in prison for his part in the assault on the victim in Dublin city centre in 2018.

A court heard Ormond was on drugs at the time and had little or no recollection of the incident.

The other assailant, who was not before the court, stabbed the victim, leaving him with a punctured lung.

Ormond, a father-of-two of Kilcronan Close, Clondalkin pleaded guilty to affray.

Garda Brae Fitzsimons told Dublin District Court the incident happened at Liffey Street on August 24, 2018.

She was called to the scene at 2.04pm and was told a man had been stabbed and suffered a punctured lung.

This man would not provide a statement in relation to assault and the case was instead investigated as an affray, she said.

The accused did not cause the stab injury but was seen on CCTV assaulting the man.

Mr Ormond was detained and made full admissions to being in the altercation with the man on the day.

Asked what the accused did, Gda Fitzsimons told Judge Bryan Smyth Ormond was seen punching, slapping and kicking the man before the third man came towards the altercation. It was this third man who stabbed the victim, the court heard.

Defence solicitor Daniel Hanahoe said his client had stopped punching and kicking the man when the incident with the stabbing occurred.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Gda Fitzsimons said it happened within a couple of seconds and it was all believed to be linked.

Ormond had 33 previous convictions, including drugs and motoring offences. The accused had addiction difficulties in the past but had dealt with that and stayed out of trouble for 12 years, Mr Hanahoe said.

He had his own business but that got into difficulty and he relapsed back on drugs at the time of the incident. He was on drugs at the time of the affray and had “little or no recollection” of it, Mr Hanahoe said.

Ormond had shown that when clean he could be a productive member of society, he added.

Judge Smyth watched CCTV footage of the incident and said it “didn’t make nice viewing.”

The accused was already in custody for other offences when he appeared in court.

Judge Smyth said the charge warranted a sentence.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Top Videos

Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.