| 4.2°C Dublin

PSNI probe Cops granted extra time to quiz Robbie Lawlor murder suspect


Robbie Lawlor

Robbie Lawlor

Robbie Lawlor

THE PSNI has been given extra time to question a man arrested over the murder of gangland criminal Robbie Lawlor.

The 45 year-old was detained by serious crime detectives on Wednesday on suspicion of murder.

Last night, the PSNI said it had been granted an additional 36 hours to question the suspect.

Lawlor (35) was shot outside a house in Etna Drive at around 11.50 am on April 4.

The suspect has been arrested by detectives from the Serious Crime Major Investigation team and is being questioned at Musgrave Police station.

Lawlor was one of Ireland's most notorious gangland criminals.

He is believed to have been in the Ardoyne area to collect a debt when he was killed.

Lawlor was one of the chief suspects for the barbaric murder and dismemberment of Drogheda teenager Keane Mulready Woods last January as part of the Drogheda feud.

Lawlor, who was a member of the so-called anti-Maguire faction, was also the chief suspect for a string of murders including that of Tallaght criminal Mark Byrne (29) in 2005, David 'Fred' Lynch (26) in 2009 and his pal Noel Deans (27) the following year.

Only hours after Deans' killing, Lawlor perversely drank tea with and consoled his victim's heartbroken mother.

Lawlor was also the chief suspect for the murder of his former close associate, Kenneth Finn (36), in February 2018.

Lawlor was the brother-in-law of drug dealer Richie Carberry, who was shot dead outside his Bettystown home while Lawlor was in jail.

Carberry is understood to have been murdered on the orders of a Mr Big, a Coolock drug boss who is a close associate of Cornelius Price.

Price is in turn closely aligned to Owen Maguire whose gang are at war with their Drogheda opposition.

A major Garda alert has been put place in December 2019 when Lawlor walked free from the Central Criminal Courts and was whisked way in an Audi car after whispering ‘thank you’ to a jury of seven men and five women.

He had been found not guilty by the jury of threatening to murder his former girlfriend’s partner and of attempting to murder the man’s mother.

He was also acquitted of possessing a gun and of killing a dog. During his trial, his ex-girlfriend Rachel Kirwan retracted a statement she had given to gardaí.

In it, she said Lawlor had threatened to kill her new partner, Derek Mitchell, and his mother, Fiona Mitchell in a series of incidents which allegedly occurred in 2018.

Lawlor had been held in custody after he was refused bail in the High Court when evidence from a Chief Superintendent was that, if released, he would commit serious offences.

Following his release, Lawlor was issued with a Garda Information Message warning him his life was under threat as tensions between him and a number of different gangland figures increased.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors