| 12.6°C Dublin

One-punch thug Convicted Irish killer who lied on visa jailed in Oz over Sydney beer garden assault

Patrick Farrell is still facing outstanding charges in Australia for his part in a separate knife attack that left a man with a punctured spleen and a severed ear

Close

Patrick Farrell.

Patrick Farrell.

Patrick Farrell.

A convicted Irish killer who lied on his visa application to gain entry to Australia has been jailed for two years over a cowardly one-punch attack.

Sources have confirmed that Patrick Farrell was given the two-year-sentence at a hearing in Sydney on Friday of last week – after pleading guilty to assault causing harm to the man last December.

Farrell is still facing outstanding charges in Australia for his part in a separate knife attack that left a man with a punctured spleen and a severed ear.

The Kildare man hit the headlines last September when Australian cops issued a wanted notice for him over the pub attack in Sydney in November 2019.

He was also wanted for the knife attack and went on the run for three weeks before his arrest on September 30th.

Close

Farrell punches a man unconscious in an Australian beer garden

Farrell punches a man unconscious in an Australian beer garden

Farrell punches a man unconscious in an Australian beer garden

 

News of his previous manslaughter conviction sparked an outcry over how he had been able to move to Australia after his release from prison in Ireland.

He served a three-and-a-half-year sentence in April 2013 in Ireland for an assault that led to the death of student Andrew Dolan (20).

After he was apprehended by Australian police in December, Farrell (29) admitted to hitting a 56-year-old man knocking him unconscious at a Matraville pub beer garden in November last year.

He entered a guilty plea to the charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm charge at Waverley Local Court in Sydney.

Close

Andrew Dolan

Andrew Dolan

Andrew Dolan

 

Video footage of the attack shows the moment a group of men gather in the bar before the victim lands on his back and a bouncer rushes to his aid.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Police allege there was an argument between Farrell and the victim before punching him unconscious.

Farrell is also accused of a role in a separate stabbing attack on another Irish man Oliver Solan (30) in an apartment block in Sydney on August 29 of 2020.

Solan suffered a punctured spleen and severed ear before he was discovered in a pool of blood in the apartment corridor.

Police were still searching for Farrell in relation to the punching incident when they arrested him in his lawyer’s office on September 30th of last year.

Close

Joe and Rosie Dolan

Joe and Rosie Dolan

Joe and Rosie Dolan

 

Speaking last year, after news broke that Farrell was on the run in Australia, Andrew Dolan’s father told the Sunday World he believed the Irish legal system should have stopped the killer leaving Ireland.

Joe Dolan’s remarks came after it emerged the suspended portion of Farrell’s sentence was not activated despite another conviction after his release from prison.

“I’m appalled to hear that … it adds insult to injury … it’s an insult to our suffering and the memory of our son.

“If he was convicted, why wasn’t he sent back to prison?” he asked

Farrell was disqualified from driving and fined €1,000 after failing to comply with direction from gardai to give a breath specimen in 2016.

Mr Dolan described as “distressing” the news when Farrell went on the run in September.

“It’s utterly appalling that another family and relations of people have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of these assaults,” he said at the time.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy