| 15.9°C Dublin

Monster released Brutal rapist who 'kicked, punched and hosed down' victim freed after only eight years

Monster stood trial three times for horror attack and abused judges who gave him 12 years


Alan Hanley walks free from Midlands Prison

Alan Hanley walks free from Midlands Prison

Rapist Hanley is driven away from the Midlands Prison

Rapist Hanley is driven away from the Midlands Prison


Alan Hanley walks free from Midlands Prison

A violent sex attacker who went on trial three times for the brutal rape of a woman is back on the streets after eight years in jail.

Limerick man Alan Hanley had burned his victim's underwear and "hosed her down" in a shower in a bid to remove any forensic evidence during the 2012 attack.

The unrepentant brute left the Midlands Prison in Co Laois this week and is believed to have travelled back to his native city.

Hanley (40), who has convictions for making threats to kill, intimidation of a witness and possession of a knife, had successfully appealed against his first rape conviction.

He was finally convicted on one charge of rape after a third trial in 2019, but he had been in custody since the 2012 assault.

During his most recent sentence hearing he stood up in court and shouted: "You have no evidence, so go f**k yourself. F**k you and your court."


Alan Hanley

Alan Hanley

Alan Hanley

Hanley also appealed that conviction. In that appeal, heard last October, it was argued that the judge had erred in remarks to the jury.

The appeal and an appeal against the 12-year sentence were both withdrawn in court last month.

Details of the horrific ordeal Hanley subjected his victim to were revealed during criminal proceedings in which the woman gave a harrowing account of the assault.

The woman told how during the assault Hanley was roaring and shouting that she had been leading him on.

"He kicked me in the ribs, he punched me in the face, he banged my head off everything possible," she said.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"It felt like it went on forever."


Rapist Hanley is driven away from the Midlands Prison

Rapist Hanley is driven away from the Midlands Prison

Rapist Hanley is driven away from the Midlands Prison

Hanley tore her clothes off, leaving her naked, and raped her on a large rug and then dragged her by the hair upstairs to the shower and turned the shower on.

"I made a run for it but he caught me and took me back into the shower."

"I was completely naked. He put the shower on, he hosed me down."

Hanley dragged his victim back to the sitting room a second time where he attacked her again and then forced her back into the shower.

At one point he held a knife to her chin and started to cut pieces from the rug and burned them in the fireplace.

He also burned all her underwear and other clothing.

The woman said Hanley was wiping the stairs bannister saying "they'll get no evidence from me".

When Hanley left the room to turn off a smoke alarm, she took her chance to escape and ran naked with just a towel into the street.

"I don't know where I got the adrenaline rush to run," his victim said.

"I just ran and ran and ran."

A woman who had seen her brought her into her own house and called the gardai.

The officers who arrived at the scene of the attack found bloodstains on an upturned coffee table in the sitting room, on the stairs, on the door frames to the bathroom and on shower tiles.

The victim and Hanley had met just weeks previously but they had a falling out two days before Hanley arrived at her house, forcing his way in and attacking the woman who he accused of leading him on.

Hanley admitted a charge of assaulting the woman but denied raping her.

After his 2015 trial Judge Deirdre Murphy imposed 12-and-a-half years for rape and five years for the assault, saying it was hard to envisage a more serious attack.

"He terrorised her for more than an hour, putting her in real fear of her life," the judge said.

The horrifying assault had a long-lasting impact on the woman, who at the time had been seeking treatment for abuse of alcohol and prescription drugs.

Her rehab attempts were set back after the attack but she later made significant progress, it was in heard in court.

She suffered from nightmares which left her terrified to sleep and was still attending weekly counselling with the Rape Crisis Centre.

During that sentencing hearing Hanley, who had dismissed his legal team after his conviction, repeatedly shouted at the judge that he was not a rapist and called the victim a liar.


He shouted: "You're making me out to be an animal."

After a successful appeal against that rape conviction he went on trial again in May 2019 in the Central Criminal Court.

This time he was convicted on one count of rape for which Judge Alex Owens imposed a 12-year sentence.

Mr Justice Owens said he had to consider the danger of him re-offending and ordered that Hanley be under the supervision of the Probation Service for six years after his release.

Hanley launched his foul-mouthed tirade at the judge at the end of the hearing and later went on to launch another appeal against the conviction and sentence which were withdrawn on April 22.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices