| 9.7°C Dublin

brutal Axe attack victim out of hospital and back in Tullamore despite threat

James Mongan suffered a fractured skull and a broken leg in the attack

Close

James Mongan outside Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

James Mongan outside Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

James Mongan outside Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

THE man seriously injured in a violent axe attack in Tullamore last month is out of hospital and has remained in the town despite the threat against him.

James Mongan (30) sustained a number of injuries after the feud-linked attack at Tesco in Tullamore in October.

He suffered a number of serious injures, including a fractured skull, dislocated shoulder and broken leg but told the Sunday World days after the attack he was doing fine.

Mongan divides his time between Ireland and the UK and gardaí were initially told the attack could be linked to a feud in UK.

However, sources say they are sceptical of that theory and believe it could be linked to a dispute in Ireland.

Last May, police in Suffolk, in England, issued a notice saying they wanted to speak to Mongan in relation to a shooting incident which took place there in April.

Police warned the public to stay away from Mongan and another Irish associate, who they said had links to the Cambridgeshire area, after three teenagers were injured in the incident at a site on Elms Road in Red Lodge on Sunday, April 4.

While police wanted to speak to him, he was not charged with any offence in relation to the shooting.

Close

James Mongan attacked by axe-wielding thugs in shop

James Mongan attacked by axe-wielding thugs in shop

James Mongan attacked by axe-wielding thugs in shop

Sources said this week that UK police are aware that Mongan is in Ireland but are not seeking to extradite him to the UK.

Police arrested four men who have links to Mongan in connection with the incident in April and charged them with two counts of malicious wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (joint enterprise) and also violent disorder.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Despite the seriousness of his injuries Mongan was keen to show he was doing well in the days after the Tullamore attack. He stood up out of his wheelchair outside hospital to show he was okay when the Sunday World spoke to him in October.

"I'm 100 per cent. If anyone is taking a picture of me, look I'm 100 per cent. Nobody has to worry about me."

He also posted a video online from his hospital room.

"Right lads," he said in the video, "you all know who this is. As you all know I got attacked there by a couple of sheepdogs, I wouldn't even call them men, not last night, the night before.

"The worst injury I have, I done to myself. And that's this leg here, I twisted my ankle. They gave me a bit of a cut there," he added, indicating his left inner thigh, "a bit of a scrape there, and I have a cut on me back.

"That's from four of ye, well, three of ye, while one stood in the car."

He added: "If ye have any balls on ye, come up and say who you are, now just say who ye are, that's all you need to do, just come and say who ye are, but you should be ashamed of yourself.

"Look at that," he said, gesturing to himself, "you thought you had me destroyed. Look at that, ha-ha ya boyo.

"Number one I am, number fu**kin' one. Look at me, ya thought I was destroyed lads, didn't ye? Look at that for a head, boys, a head bet a load a times with a hatchet."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy