| 18.5°C Dublin

Arrested Associates of 'Cock Wall' burglary mob remain in custody after Garda car ramming incident

The gang has been linked to break-ins nationwide, travelling in groups of four or five to blitz a rural town before using the country’s motorway network to flee

Close

Stock photo

Stock photo

Stock photo

Two close associates of the 'Cock Wall' gang, a notorious burglary mob that have been targeting homes across the country for decades, remain in custody this morning after a Garda car was rammed in Slane, Co Meath yesterday. 

The two suspects are being quizzed in Navan Garda Station after yesterday’s drama that unfolded when gardaí attempted to stop a car at approximately 9.20am.

A Garda spokesperson said the car failed to stop and a “managed containment operation was carried out”.

During a pursuit the gang's car rammed gardaí before five men fled the scene on foot.

The garda Air Support Unit was called in and two suspects, aged in their 20s, were arrested a short time later.

Independent.ie has learned that they are close associates of the 'Cock Wall' mob who have been a prime target for gardaí for decades.

It is currently led by three relatives aged in their 40s.

The gang has been linked to break-ins nationwide, travelling in groups of four or five to blitz a rural town before using the country’s motorway network to flee.

Detectives previously identified a new generation of thugs aged in their teens and 20s who they now believe are the predominant burglary team for the ‘Cock Wall’ gang.

Garda intelligence has linked around 80 direct associates to the gang, including young children and three generations of families.

Earlier this year five associates of the mob were arrested during a separate organised crime operation in the capital.

Detectives believe the five-man gang intercepted yesterday were on their way to carry out a series of raids in the east of the country.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

After searching the suspect vehicle gardaí recovered items believed to be intended for criminal use.

Among the items seized were snoods, hats, masks, screwdrivers, a sledgehammer, bleach and petrol.

Gardaí have also established that the vehicle was stolen from the UK and are now liaising with police there.

One of the men is understood to be on bail in relation to an organised crime operation last year.

The other suspects, who fled in the direction of Slane Castle, have not yet been located.

A Garda spokeswoman said investigations are ongoing and they are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.

They added that no injuries were reported following the ramming.

One source said: "Burglaries have been down significantly because of the pandemic, but with the country opening back up and people out of their homes more than before these gangs will make up for lost time."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy