| 18.3°C Dublin

New arrest Another man arrested as part of probe into gruesome murder of Keane Mulready Woods (17)

The three men arrested as part of the same investigation on Monday of this week have all been released without charge and files will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Close

Keane Mulready Woods

Keane Mulready Woods

Keane Mulready Woods

Gardaí have today arrested a man in his late 20s as part of the ongoing investigation into the murder and dismemberment of Drogheda teenager Kean Mulready Woods in January 2020.

The man is currently being detained at a Dublin Garda Station under Section 42 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1999.

The three men arrested as part of the same investigation on Monday of this week have all been released without charge and files will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

17-year-old Keane Mulready Woods was lured to a house in the Co Louth town last year before being killed and his body dismembered.

His remains were dumped in different parts of Drogheda and Dublin in the days after his murder.

On Monday, detectives arrested three men on suspicion of disposing of the teenager’s body parts.

The men, aged between their 20s and 50s, were detained following a series of searches in the capital.

Sundayworld.com revealed earlier this week that one of the suspects is a close associate of feud murder victim Richie Carberry (39).

He was shot dead in November 2019 outside his Co Meath home in a murder that was directly linked to the Drogheda dispute.

Originally from Coolock, he was seen as the Dublin link to the anti-Maguire faction directing the younger criminals.

Close

Gardai pictured at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where the torso of Keane Mulready Woods was discovered

Gardai pictured at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where the torso of Keane Mulready Woods was discovered

Gardai pictured at the site on wasteland, near the Rathmullan Estate, Drogheda where the torso of Keane Mulready Woods was discovered

Gardaí believed he was the ‘number 2’ acting with another Dublin criminal financing the crime gang.

The close associate of Carberry was quizzed on suspicion of involvement in disposing the body parts.

A senior source said that they are suspected of travelling to Drogheda to help in the disposal but are not believed to have been directly involved in the murder.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

On January 13, 2020 a sports bag with body parts was thrown from a moving car in Coolock two days after the teen was reported missing.

Days later partial human remains were found in a burnt out car in a Drumcondra lane way, which were later confirmed to be that of the victim.

In total 12 people have now been arrested as part of the murder inquiry.

Speaking regarding the searches earlier in the week, a garda spokesman said: “The searches, conducted by Mountjoy Detective Unit, were carried out under provisions of Section 10 of the Criminal Justice Act (Miscellaneous Provisions), 1997, at a number of premises in Dublin”.

Detectives in Drogheda are currently in the process of preparing files in the hope of bringing charges against a number of suspects.

Gardaí believe the gang involved in the murder had planned to deliver the dismembered body parts to a criminal in the area.

A chief suspect in the teen’s murder, gangland hitman Robbie Lawlor (36), was later shot dead in Belfast.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy