| 16.8°C Dublin

Remanded Young Lucan man accused of 'threatening to burn down mosque' being built in Dublin

Frank O’Donnell (22) is accused of making the threat while trespassing on the site being developed as a mosque and Islamic community centre

Close

Frank O’Donnell

Frank O’Donnell

Frank O’Donnell

A young man threatened to burn down a mosque that is being built in Dublin, it has been alleged.

Frank O’Donnell (22) is accused of making the threat while trespassing on the site being developed as a mosque and Islamic community centre.

He was remanded on continuing bail after a court heard further charges could be brought. Judge Gerard Jones adjourned the case at Blanchardstown District Court for the directions of the DPP.

Mr O’Donnell is charged with threatening to cause criminal damage at the South Dublin Maktab site in Lucan on January 20 this year.

The accused, of Tor An Rí Lane, Balgaddy, Lucan, is also accused of trespassing in a manner likely to cause fear in the same incident.

Garda Sergeant Maria Callaghan told Judge Jones the allegation was that the accused entered a site at Newlands Road, Lucan and threatened to cause damage.

Judge Jones asked if it was a private dwelling house.

Sgt Callaghan said it was not, and that the building was being repaired and converted into a mosque.

“It is alleged he entered the area without permission and threatened to damage it,” Sgt Callaghan said.

“Was he objecting to what was being built there or something?” the judge asked.

Sgt Callaghan said it was alleged that Mr O’Donnell made threats related to the fact that the mosque was being built there.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“It’s alleged that he said he would burn it if it was built,” she said.

The sergeant said there was an application to add bail conditions. The court heard the accused had been granted bail at a garda station following his arrest and had agreed to the conditions.

His lawyer consented to them being formally added to the bail bond.

The conditions are that Mr O’Donnell does not enter the site at South Dublin Maktab and does not loiter in the environs of the site. He must also not interfere with any witnesses involved in the prosecution.

The accused also provided a contact phone number to gardai as part of his bail terms.

Sgt Callaghan said an investigation file was being prepared and there may be further charges brought.

Judge Jones granted free legal aid after hearing the accused was not working and was on social welfare. His lawyer handed a statement of Mr O’Donnell’s financial means in to court.

The case was adjourned to a date in May. Mr O’Donnell has not yet entered pleas to the charges, which are under the Criminal Damage and Public Order Acts.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy