intoxicated Woman who drank 'a lot of wine' has no memory of failing to pay €80 restaurant bill
The 32-year-old, who has 32 previous convictions is “deeply ashamed” of her behaviour on the night
A mother of three was out with friends, drank “a lot of wine” and has no memory of leaving a restaurant without paying an €80 bill, a court has heard.
Caroline Rita Maughan admitted failing to pay the bill at The Plaza Chinese in Swords and being intoxicated in a public place on August 25, 2021.
Judge Dermot Dempsey convicted Maughan at Swords District Court and fined her €150.
Garda Aidan Fogarty said he received a call from The Plaza restaurant at 11.20pm on the night in question to say two females had left the premises without paying their bill.
He said while on the call he could hear a lot of commotion in the background.
When gardaí arrived at the scene, the accused was in a highly intoxicated state, was involved in a row with staff at the restaurant and was refusing to pay the bill of €80.80.
Garda Fogarty said Maughan, of Baskin Park, Stockhole Lane, Cloughran, was very drunk and continued to be abusive and aggressive to both staff and the gardaí.
The defendant has 32 previous convictions.
Barrister Annette Kealy said the accused doesn’t drink very often but had met friends for a meal on August 25, 2021 and had “drunk a lot of wine”.
She said Maughan was very intoxicated and has no memory of the incident but nevertheless takes full responsibility for it and had the €80.80 with her in court for the bill.
The 32-year-old, who has three children, is “deeply ashamed” of her behaviour on the night and apologised to the owners of the restaurant and the gardaí.
“She is very, very remorseful for her actions,’ the barrister added.
Judge Dermot Dempsey fined Maughan €150 at the district court for failing to pay the restaurant bill taking the offence of being intoxicated in a public place into account.
- Man (43) found with five fake driving licences in his name given probation
- Convicted murderer at 'low ebb' told garda he was worse than the 'Russians' and to ‘f**k off’
- Woman who slapped bouncer in 'split-second reaction' at club told cops 'There's real crime out there'
- Motorist who drove uninsured due to 'genuine threats to his life' jailed for four months
- Rebekah Vardy claims she was made ‘scapegoat’ at Euro 2016 ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial reveals
- Three arrested as murder probe launched after man stabbed to death in Co Down
- Should Luiz Diaz start the Champions League final? Liverpool legend gives his verdict
- Reality TV star Hughie Maughan reveals he won €10k on scratch card and plans to buy horse
- Tributes pour in for prominent farmer tragically killed in crash on M8 motorway
- Rory McIlroy is bullish about ‘great position’ despite slow Friday: ‘There’s a lot of golf to play’