| 11.3°C Dublin

Court hearing Two men charged over street attack that left teen girl with serious injures have curfew lifted

The then-17-year-old has since lost sight in her left eye and undergone reconstructive surgery.

Close

Darragh Lyons (left) leaves court. Picture: Collins

Darragh Lyons (left) leaves court. Picture: Collins

Darragh Lyons (left) leaves court. Picture: Collins

TWO young men charged following a street attack that left a Dublin teenager with serious eye and facial injuries have had their curfews lifted.

A judge today relaxed bail conditions, dropping night-time curfew orders for Darragh Lyons and Jack Cummins, both aged 18.

Mr Lyons is charged with assaulting the 18-year-old, who suffered a ruptured eyeball, broken cheekbone and a shattered tooth in an attack in Ballyfermot last December.

The then-17-year-old has since lost sight in her left eye and undergone reconstructive surgery.

Mr Cummins is not charged with assaulting the victim but allegedly assaulted and injured a boy she was with.

Mr Lyons, of Weir View, Glenaulin, Chapelizod and Mr Cummins from Rossmore Road, Ballyfermot, were remanded on continuing bail at Dublin District Court, for the directions of the DPP.

The assaults are alleged to have happened at Ballyfermot Road on December 30, 2021.

When the cases came before Judge Paula Murphy today, Mr Cummins' solicitor Lorraine Stephens said she had advised her client not to attend due to current pandemic-related measures in the district courts.

Close

Darragh Lyons (left) leaves court. Picture: Collins

Darragh Lyons (left) leaves court. Picture: Collins

Darragh Lyons (left) leaves court. Picture: Collins

DPP directions were outstanding but Garda Sergeant Zita Woods said the completion of the investigation file was "very close."

Ms Stephens asked the judge to remove a 9pm to 6am curfew order that had been imposed when the case first came to court in January. The prosecution consented.

Mr Lyons's solicitor Rory Staines asked for a similar order for his client. The judge did this and said all other bail conditions will remain.

Mr Lyons was present in court but was not required to speak during the hearing.

Both cases were adjourned to a date in May.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Neither of the accused has yet indicated a plea.

At their first court appearance in January, gardai said neither accused made any reply to the charges after caution.

They were both granted bail at €200 and under conditions, they are not to have any contact with the alleged victims or any witnesses.

Close

Jack Cummins Photo: Collins Courts

Jack Cummins Photo: Collins Courts

Jack Cummins Photo: Collins Courts

Mr Lyons was unemployed while Mr Cummins was working full time at a tyre company, the court heard on the last date. Both were granted free legal aid.

Ms Stephens had told the court her client Mr Cummins “specifically asked me to indicate to the court that he didn’t cause the injuries to the young woman involved.”

The alleged attack happened near the civic offices in Ballyfermot Road at around 9.30pm.

The victim was treated at St James’s Hospital and the Dublin Eye & Ear Hospital and had to undergo surgery to repair her eye socket and cheekbone.

The other alleged victim was also treated in hospital and discharged.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy