| 19.1°C Dublin

glassh*ole Thug knocked out woman's teeth with a beer glass in sickening pub attack

Mum of two was enjoying a drink with friends when Sean Anderson (25) smacked her in the mouth with a beer glass


Sean Anderson

Sean Anderson

Strand Bar

Strand Bar

His brother Conan who died tragically

His brother Conan who died tragically


Sean Anderson

This is the man who glassed a young mother in the face knocking her teeth out.

Burly bully Sean Anderson was jailed this week for the sickening attack.

And we can reveal the woman also suffered a campaign of terror after the attack. In one incident, her brother's car was burnt out and she was intimidated with threatening graffiti.

The mum of two was enjoying a drink with friends in a local pub when Anderson smacked her in the mouth with a beer glass knocking her teeth out.

Just seconds before, the 46-year-old woman had remonstrated with him over his behaviour which was causing distress and annoyance to other customers.

Four of the woman's teeth were knocked out when Anderson suddenly struck her with a pint tumbler.

The ferocity of the blow caused severe bruising to the woman's face and it also left her with a black eye.

And a fifth tooth was later extracted by a dentist.

Anderson (25), a mechanic from Clyde Place, Short Strand, was sent down for four years when he appeared at Belfast Crown Court on Monday.

The horror attack happened in the Strand Bar at Mountpottinger Road in the Short Strand district of east Belfast in August two years ago.


Strand Bar

Strand Bar

Strand Bar


But the Sunday World can reveal that hours after the savage no-warning assault, sinister graffiti appeared on a nearby shop shutter.

And around the same time, a car belonging to the victim's brother was burnt out in a petrol bomb attack a short distance away.

Local people say both incidents appear to have been linked to campaign of intimidation.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"It was an absolute disgrace. These people act like Chicago gangsters," said a Short Strand resident.

"Whoever was behind the graffiti and the petrol bomb on the car should be ashamed of themselves," she said.

The Sunday World spoke to Anderson's victim earlier this week, but she declined to be interviewed saying that as far as she was concerned, the matter was now over.

On Monday, Belfast Crown Court heard how, on August 19 2019, she had gone to the Strand Bar and was enjoying a drink with friends when Anderson entered the busy pub.

He walked behind the bar and after lifting a glass, he poured himself a pint.

A member of staff forced Anderson out from behind the counter and back into the public area of the premises.

Anderson's victim was born and raised among the close-knit Short Strand community where she was highly respected. She ticked off Anderson for his thuggish behaviour which caused annoyance to her and other customers.

Anderson had a verbal exchange with the woman before he threw a pint glass at her.

Anderson was arrested and he told police he had been drinking before he entered the Strand Bar. PSNI officers also entered the bar a short time later where they seized security film footage of the entire incident.

Anderson told investigating officers that after he poured himself a pint, the woman started shouting at him. And therefore he lifted the glass and tapped her on the mouth with it, before setting it down again.

But Judge Donna McColgan disagreed with Anderson's version of events, saying it "certainly wasn't borne out by CCTV footage".

And she added that the attack was unprovoked.

Film footage clearly showed Anderson bringing his left arm backwards before he threw a pint glass directly at the woman's face. The court also heard Anderson had admitted causing his victim grievous bodily harm with intent.

And sentencing him, Judge McColgan imposed a four-year jail sentence, which she divided between 18 months in prison followed by 30 months on licence.

She also said she had read various reports about Anderson and it was clear he had health-related issues.

The judge accepted Anderson had expressed genuine remorse for his actions.

But Judge Colgan also noted Anderson's "chaotic lifestyle" around the time of the attack. His reckless behaviour, she said, was brought on by alcohol abuse.

A year before the Strand Bar incident, Anderson lost his brother Conan in tragic circumstances.

In a bizarre incident in the city centre, he had been punched after some light-hearted horseplay.

The single blow - which caused his head to connect with the pavement - rendered him unconscious. But Conan was quickly revived by a friend and the pair walked home together.


His brother Conan who died tragically

His brother Conan who died tragically

His brother Conan who died tragically


On the way, he was spoken to by police and medical personnel, but he turned down assistance.

At home he slept for a few hours, but after wakening, his family became alarmed by his erratic behaviour and they called an ambulance.

Despite medical intervention, Conan died in hospital after 12 days in intensive care.

His death was caused by a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain. The injuries were as a direct result of the one-punch incident in a city centre laneway.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Top Videos