OAP attack Three men appear in court charged over aggravated burglary that left Tom Niland critical
The men all with addresses in Co Mayo were charged with aggravated burglary with a knife at the home of Mr Niland
Three men have appeared before a special sitting of Sligo District court charged with aggravated burglary at the home of west Sligo man Tom Niland (73).
The men all with addresses in Co Mayo were charged with aggravated burglary with a knife at the home of Mr Niland at Doonflynn , Skreen Co Sligo on January 18th last . All were remanded in custody to appear in Sligo district court on Wednesday March 16th.
Det Sergeant Michael Kelly from Carrick on Shannon Garda station gave evidence of arrest charge and caution of all three defendants . He told Judge Sandra Murphy that none of the three accused made any reply when the charge was put to them.
The three defendants John Clarke(33) of Carrowkelly Ballina Co Mayo, Francis Harmon(54) Nephin Court, Killala road, Ballina and John Irving (28) of Shanwar , Foxford, Co Mayo were granted re legal aid by Judge Murphy.
Inspector Paul Kilcoyne the senior investigating officer in this case, said the State was objecting to bail in the case of each of the three defendants. No application for bail was made at the brief sitting of Sligo district court.
Mr Keith O’Grady BL counsel for Mr Clarke , instructed by Mullaney solicitors said that while there was no application for bail being made he was reserving his position on this .
The accused was granted free legal aid after solicitor Mr Mark Mullaney told the court he was on disability.
Solicitor Pat Loftus for Francis Harmon also told the court that he was reserving his position on bail. Applying for free legal aid he said his client was on Jobseeker’s Allowance.
Judge Murphy granted free legal aid .
Mr Edward Bradberry solicitor appeared for John Irving who was also granted free legal aid after the Judge heard he was on Jobseeker’s Allowance.
- Rebekah Vardy claims she was made ‘scapegoat’ at Euro 2016 ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial reveals
- Man pleads guilty to public sex act in M&S toilet
- Ex school principal (80) is charged with 90 counts of abusing 20 children
- Three arrested after car smashes into Irish tanning shop causing huge fire
- Former professional footballer caught with thousands worth of fake goods, cigarettes and DVDs
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta