| 13.2°C Dublin

Gardaí sting Teen suspect (16) in €20k jewelry theft case is allegedly from 'family of burglars'

A court heard the 16-year-old boy was among a group of relatives seen driving from a house break-in in a car adapted for burglaries

Close

Stock photo

Stock photo

Stock photo

A teenage suspect in a €20,000 jewellery theft is part of a travelling family of burglars responsible for crimes "throughout the State", it is alleged.

A court heard the 16-year-old boy was among a group of relatives seen driving from a house break-in in a car adapted for burglaries.

Gardaí charged him when he returned to Ireland after travelling in France, Mexico and the US.

Judge Bryan Smyth granted him conditional bail despite garda objections and adjourned the case at Dublin District Court.

The accused is charged with burglary at Watson Road, Killiney, possession of housebreaking implements at Mackintosh Park, Cabinteely and trespassing at Clonkeen Road, Blackrock.

The offences are alleged to have happened on February 19.

Objecting to bail, a garda said it was alleged the crimes were carried out by a family and further charges related to organised crime were being considered.

The court heard organised crime gardaí suspected the family of committing burglaries throughout the State.

Gardaí had the family under surveillance and saw them in a gold Mercedes that had been adapted for use in burglaries by having a hole cut between the rear seats and boot.

It was claimed occupants including the accused left the car at various stages to commit burglaries in south Dublin. In one alleged incident, a 78-year-old woman's jewellery worth €20,000 was stolen.

When the burglars became aware they were monitored, they attempted to dispose of the jewellery from the car.

It was found by gardaí, along with a jimmy bar, torch and hammer, the garda said.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Gardaí believe the burglary was committed with a "high degree of sophistication and planning".

The boy was arrested along with four other occupants of the car, the garda said.

When they went to charge him in August, he had left the country and was arrested on returning from New York.

He had no form of income and travelled around the US for two months.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Lorraine Stephens said the accused had returned when he became aware that gardaí wanted to charge him.

The judge granted the boy bail and adjourned the case to a date next month.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy