| 8°C Dublin

Teen allegedly broke man's jaw in 'unprovoked attack' on street


Close

Ryan Keeley (19) is facing trial after a court heard the man had undergo surgery

Ryan Keeley (19) is facing trial after a court heard the man had undergo surgery

Ryan Keeley (19) is facing trial after a court heard the man had undergo surgery

A TEENAGER broke a man's jaw when he punched him in an "unprovoked attack" as he walked home on a city street, it has been alleged.

Ryan Keeley (19) is facing trial after a court heard the man had undergo surgery to have a metal plate fitted in his jaw.

Judge Ann Ryan ruled the case was too serious to be heard at Dublin District Court and adjourned it for the preparation of a book of evidence.

Mr Keeley, of Coultry Place, Ballymun, is charged with assault causing harm.

Dublin District Court heard the incident was alleged to have happened at Sillogue Avenue, Ballymun, at 12.30am on August 27, 2017.

A garda told the judge the DPP had directed summary disposal of the case in the district court subject to the issue of jurisdiction being considered.

The garda said the alleged victim attended Ballymun garda station and reported he had been assaulted while he was walking home.

It was alleged the accused punched him twice on the left side of the face.

Fractured

Afterwards, the alleged victim attended a dental clinic where an X-ray showed his jaw had been fractured.

He was referred from the dental clinic to St James's Hospital where he underwent surgery.

Medical documents were submitted to the court along with photos taken by the alleged victim.

The garda confirmed that it was an alleged "unprovoked attack" and the accused and complainant were not known to each other.

Reading the reports, the judge noted there was no information about the man's prognosis.

She asked the garda how the complainant was now.

He said the man had "essentially fully recovered", but had a permanent metal plate in his jaw.

The judge asked why the case had been delayed, and the garda said additional statements had to be taken and he had difficulty contacting the alleged victim.

The accused was a minor at the time of the incident and initially the case had to go through juvenile referral.

Judge Ryan said these were matters that "should have been expedited" while Mr Keeley was a juvenile.

She refused jurisdiction and adjourned the case to a date next month.

Online Editors


Privacy