| 2.9°C Dublin

Court appearance Teen (16) accused of dangerous driving causing death of delivery cyclist 'anxious' for case to proceed

A 16-year-old boy was remanded in custody on November 7 after he was charged with dangerous driving causing the death of Thiago Cortes.

Close

Thiago Cortes

Thiago Cortes

Thiago Cortes

A YOUTH accused of dangerous driving causing the death of delivery cyclist Thiago Ortes Cortes in Dublin has been further remanded in custody for completion of the book of evidence for his trial.

Mr Cortes, 28, from Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, was cycling on North Wall Quay in Dublin when he was struck by a car at about 10.30pm on Aug. 31 last.

The student was delivering food for Deliveroo at the time of the collision.

He was taken by ambulance to the Mater hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

A 16-year-old boy was remanded in custody on November 7 after he was charged with dangerous driving causing the death of Mr Cortes.

Five additional charges were later brought: three counts of failing to remain at the scene to offer assistance to Mr Cortes, not keeping the ‘05-reg car at the location, and failing to stop with intent to escape civil or criminal liability.

The other two were for driving without a licence or insurance.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has recommended the case should be dealt with on indictment, in the circuit court, which has tougher sentencing powers. The Dublin Children’s Court agreed the case is too serious to accept jurisdiction.

The boy appeared there again today before Judge Bernadette Owens. Defence solicitor Aoife McNicholl said her client was anxious and there was a duty for a juvenile case to be expedited.

State solicitor Tom Conlon said the book of evidence will be ready in two weeks and the prosecution was within the statutory period to have it completed.

Judge Owens remanded the teen in continuing custody to appear again in two weeks. A book of evidence must be prepared by the DPP and served on him before he can be sent forward to the circuit court.

The boy’s mother was present for the hearing.

Detective Sergeant John Brady had told the juvenile court earlier that 244 statements and 149 CCTV clips have been obtained.

The boy cannot be named because he is a minor.

Section 93 of the Children Act states that no report shall be published or included in a broadcast which reveals the name, address or school of any child concerned in the proceedings or includes any particulars likely to lead to the identification of any child concerned in the proceedings.

MrCortes had lived in Dublin with his fiancée Theresa Dantas for two years and was studying English.

It is understood that he was saving money to study a master’s in business at the time of his death.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy