| 8.7°C Dublin

case closed Sexual assault charge against Conor McGregor in Corsica dropped

"We had no material evidence to corroborate the complainant's statements," prosecutor Arnaud Viornery has said.

Close

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Authorities in Corsica have dropped charges of attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure against Conor McGregor due to lack of evidence.

Prosecutors told a court in the city of Bastia on the French island that no further action will be taken against the Dubliner.

"We had no material evidence to corroborate the complainant's statements, including after the scientific expert input that had been ordered," Bastia prosecutor Arnaud Viornery told AFP.

McGregor's lawyer, Emmanuelle Ramond, said: "We welcome this decision because it is in line with what we expected.”

McGregor had vigorously denied the after he was questioned by police on the Mediterranean island last September following a complaint.

He had been sailing around the Mediterranean on his yacht at the time with fiancée Dee Devlin and their children and was preparing to take part in a charity event from Calvi to Monaco alongside Princess Charlene of Monaco in a bid to raise awareness for water safety when the accusations came to light.

A court official in Corsica issued a statement confirming Conor's arrest at the time.

The prosecutor's office wrote in a statement: "Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr Conor Anthony MacGregor was the subject of a hearing by the gendarmerie services."

Close

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

At the time a spokesperson for McGregor said: "Conor McGregor vigorously denies any accusations of misconduct.

"He has been interviewed and released."

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Earlier this month the Sunday World revealed McGregor has begun his legal defence of the multi-million euro civil case filed against him in the Irish High Court by a young woman and her mother.

The nature of the allegations made in the women's lawsuits cannot be disclosed at present for legal reasons.

Records exclusively obtained by the Sunday World show McGregor submitted his opening affidavit to the High Court in relation to the older woman's case against him on March 24.

This is the first occasion, bar a memo of appearance, on which documents have been filed in relation to either case by McGregor's legal team.

The contents of the affidavit are sealed until such time as they are opened during proceedings but legal sources say they are likely to contain an unequivocal rejection of the claims made against him.

Close

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

The civil case filed by the young woman is a personal injury lawsuit. She is seeking a sum of between €1,475,110 and €1,759,850 in compensation.

A second, smaller claim, also a personal injuries action, has been lodged by the woman's mother.

An associate of McGregor (32) is also named as a co-defendant in the actions, which have been filed in the High Court in Dublin. The UFC fighter and his associate have denied any wrongdoing.

He has had a number of scrapes with the law in recent years.

In April 2018, he threw a metal dolly at the window of a moving bus inside Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, injuring a number of fighters who were on the bus. He pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct.

In March 2019, he was arrested in Miami Beach and accused of breaking a man's phone. The case was dropped, as was a lawsuit, after McGregor and the man reached a settlement out of court.

In 2019 he was fined €1,000 by Dublin District Court for punching a man in the face in a pub.

The court heard McGregor had 18 previous convictions, the majority of which were in relation to road traffic offences.

He had a previous assault conviction from 2009 when he was an apprentice plumber.

McGregor is set to return to the Octagon in July to once again fight Dustin Poirier who knocked McGregor out at their last fight in January.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy