| 8.2°C Dublin

Second accused is facing trial after man's ear is sliced

Close

Sean Costello is charged with causing serious harm

Sean Costello is charged with causing serious harm

Sean Costello is charged with causing serious harm

ANOTHER young man has been charged with causing serious harm to a man who lost most of his ear in an alleged attack in Dublin.

Sean Costello (20) is facing trial after he appeared in court charged in connection with a violent assault two years ago on Mark Burke.

Mr Costello is the second person to be charged in recent weeks over the 2018 attack on Mr Burke, who suffered serious injuries when he was assaulted by a number of men at a south inner city flats complex.

Most of one of his ears was severed and he suffered stab wounds to his chest.

Judge John Campbell granted Mr Costello bail subject to conditions and adjourned the case at Dublin District Court for the preparation of a book of evidence.

Contact

Mr Costello, with an address at Nephin Road, Cabra, is charged with causing serious harm to Mr Burke at Whitefriar Gardens on August 1, 2018.

Garda Matthew Kennefick said Mr Costello made no reply to the charge after caution at Kevin Street station. He was handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Gda Kennefick said there was no objection to bail subject to conditions.

Mr Costello is to have no contact with the alleged victim. He must also stay away from Whitefriar Gardens and its environs and provide gardaí with a phone number at which he is contactable.

The accused is also to notify gardaí of any change of address.

The DPP directed trial on indictment, Gda Kennefick said.

There was consent to the accused being sent forward to the circuit court on a signed plea of guilty if this should arise.

Bail was in the accused's own bond of €100, with no cash lodgement required.

Mr Costello was not required to address the court and has not yet indicated how he intends to plead to the charge.

Last month, a co-accused, Jack Quirke (21), appeared in court charged with the same offence.

He has also been remanded on bail pending the preparation of a book of evidence.

Herald