| 7.6°C Dublin

Request granted 'Scissor Sister' Charlotte Mulhall gets permission to launch legal bid to seek Mountjoy Prison transfer

The judge said that he was satisfied that there was an arguable case that she is entitled to a transfer back to Mountjoy Women's Prison to secure her visiting rights with close family

Close

Charlotte Mulhall. Photo: PA

Charlotte Mulhall. Photo: PA

Charlotte Mulhall. Photo: PA

The High Court has allowed convicted murderer Charlotte Mulhall permission to bring a challenge aimed at securing a transfer from Limerick Prison back to Mountjoy women's prison in Dublin.

Mr Justice Anthony Barr said that he was prepared to allow Mulhall bring the challenge on grounds that the 2018 transfer had adversely impacted visits she received from family members.

She claims that arising out of the transfer to Limerick, close family, who are based in Dublin, were unable to visit her.

Through her lawyers, Mulhall claims this situation amounts to a disproportionate interference with her family rights.

The judge said that he was satisfied that there was an arguable case that she is entitled to a transfer back to Mountjoy Women's Prison to secure her visiting rights with close family.

At a minimum the judge said that Mulhall be provided with visiting arrangements that were previously in place where she was temporarily returned back to Dublin so that close family could visit her.

She had been afforded such visits up until mid- 2019, but those were ended without any apparent formal notification to Ms Mulhall, the court noted.

After granting leave the judge said that going forward the court requires further information, by way of sworn statements, on the impact of Covid19 on face-to-face visits in prisons.

The court also required further information on issues including Mulhall's current position about activities available to her at Limerick Prison the judge added.

The judge also said that the court had to take into account that visits had been curtailed, if not totally eradicated, due to the onset of the Covid19 pandemic in March 2020.

After handing down his decision the judge adjourned the matter to May.

Close

'Scissor Sisters' Charlotte and Linda Mulhall were convicted of the killing and dismemberment of Farah Noor in Ballybough, Dublin on March 20, 2005

'Scissor Sisters' Charlotte and Linda Mulhall were convicted of the killing and dismemberment of Farah Noor in Ballybough, Dublin on March 20, 2005

'Scissor Sisters' Charlotte and Linda Mulhall were convicted of the killing and dismemberment of Farah Noor in Ballybough, Dublin on March 20, 2005

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Mulhall has claimed she was transferred to Limerick from Mountjoy two days after she was seen by a prison officer sitting on another prison officer while performing a beauty treatment.

She disputes allegations that anything inappropriate occurred or that she was in an allegedly compromising position with the female prison officer in question.

She also claimed she has never been given the opportunity to address the prison authorities over what she says actually occurred.

She further claimed that her Dublin-based family, for a variety of reasons, have not visited her since she was moved to Limerick.

She said in a sworn statement to the court that "I am lonely and sad" due to "the lack of visits from my family" and that she also missed her dog.

As a result, she brought judicial review proceedings against the Irish Prison Service, the Governor of Limerick Prison, the Minister for Justice & Equality, Ireland and the Attorney General seeking a return to Dublin.

The respondents opposed the application on grounds including that her action was brought outside time limits.

The prison service also argued that it was entitled to make the transfer and that Mulhall had told the prison authorities that she was happy in Limerick Prison.

Charlotte, and her sister Linda Mulhall, dubbed the 'scissors sisters' were convicted in 2006 of the killing of their mother's boyfriend Farah Swaleh Noor, in March 2005.

The dismembered body of Noor, who had a history of being extremely violent towards women, was found dumped in the Royal Canal, near Croke Park, some days afterwards.

Following a high-profile trial at the Central Criminal Court Charlotte, who was aged 21 years at the time of the killing, was found guilty of murder.

Linda was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 15 years in prison and has since been released from custody.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy