slice of crime Mum-of-three (29) found with ‘pizza boxes’ in home after delivery driver robbed
Joy Whelan made admissions that she knew the property was stolen but said she did not take part in the robbery
A 29-year-old woman found in possession of a delivery bag and pizza boxes after a pizza delivery driver was robbed had a serious drug problem at the time, a court has heard.
Joy Whelan, Holywell View, Kinsealy pleaded guilty to possession of stolen property.
Swords District Court heard the items were found after a search was carried out at the defendant’s home on May 18, 2018.
Garda Alan Clarke said Whelan made admissions that she knew the property was stolen but said she did not take part in the robbery, Garda Alan Clarke said.
Defence barrister Annette Kealy said this incident happened almost four years ago.
She said Whelan was very co-operative and made admissions to gardai.
The barrister said on the date in question a friend called to her door and said she and her partner had ordered pizza.
The man had then robbed a delivery driver and the friend was left standing with the boxes.
Whelan didn’t know what to do so she let her in, Ms Kealy added. She said at the time the defendant was in a relationship with a violent person and became addicted to tablets and cocaine.
Life was “quite chaotic” and people were coming and going to the house all the time.
The girl who called to the door had stayed at the house on a number of occasions, the barrister said.
Whelan is a mother of three who had developed a serious drug problem but is now addressing her problem.
She has completed an eleven-month programme in the Ashleigh House Scheme and is now attending another multi-faceted programme to continue the progress she has made, Ms Kealy said.
Judge Dermot Dempsey adjourned the case to May 24 to allow time for the preparation of a Probation and Welfare Report and for urine analysis.
- Man (43) found with five fake driving licences in his name given probation
- Convicted murderer at 'low ebb' told garda he was worse than the 'Russians' and to ‘f**k off’
- Woman who slapped bouncer in 'split-second reaction' at club told cops 'There's real crime out there'
- Motorist who drove uninsured due to 'genuine threats to his life' jailed for four months
- Rebekah Vardy claims she was made ‘scapegoat’ at Euro 2016 ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial reveals
- Police take down gang that had smuggled drugs into Ireland hidden in Leen Bakker furniture
- Irish soccer heroes presented with medals by President Michael D Higgins on Late Late Show
- Revealed: Face of Irishman jailed in UK for raping woman he met on Plenty of Fish
- Premier League permutations: Plenty to play for at top and bottom on final day
- David De Gea eager to end season to forget for Manchester United on winning note