Mum-of-seven who stole €1,000 designer handbag was addicted to drugs, court told
A MOTHER-of-seven who was caught stealing a designer handbag worth nearly €1,000 was addicted to drugs at the time, a court has heard.
Michelle Maloney (37), who also shoplifted from a pharmacy and supermarket, was "embarrassed" by her actions.
Judge Paula Murphy adjourned the case for a probation report after Maloney, of no fixed address pleaded guilty to theft.
Dublin District Court heard the accused went into Designer Exchange on Exchequer Street on January 31, selected a handbag worth €995 and left without paying.
She was stopped and the bag was recovered.
Maloney stole goods worth €42 from Conefrey's Pharmacy on Pearse Street on February 7 but this was not recovered.
She was among a group of people who shoplifted €231 worth of alcohol from SuperValu, Aston Quay, on February 23. Some of the group were stopped and €154 of the alcohol was retrieved.
Maloney was verbally abusive to staff when stopped.
Maloney realised it was "no way for a mother-of-seven to behave" and she wanted to have nothing more to do with drugs now, her solicitor David Bassett said.
LATEST | Spanish cops also arrest Thomas ‘Bomber’ Kavanagh’s son Jack in huge blow to Kinahan network
LATEST | Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou agrees deal to join Tottenham – reports
EXCLUSIVE | Prison staff fear for mental health of killer who ‘constantly’ covers himself in faeces
'madness' | Viral video shows crowds gathering as drunken teen girls brawl at popular pier
Signed off | Welfare payment: Families to get €100 child benefit bonus this month
LATEST | Soil from Portugal reservoir compared to samples from prime Madeleine McCann suspect’s van
flight risk | Travel ban for Tallaght man (27) charged over €180,000 drugs seizure
Threat to kill | Dublin man pleads guilty after threatening to petrol bomb garda’s house
Abuse Claims | MI5 agent obstructed paedo probe into notorious Kincora boys’ home, court told
devastating | Jury sworn in for trial of man accused of murdering Fermanagh family of four in house fire