| 5.3°C Dublin

warrant Mayo man extradited from the U.S. on charge of dangerous driving causing death

Close

The Co. Mayo man is to stand trial in January

The Co. Mayo man is to stand trial in January

The Co. Mayo man is to stand trial in January

A Co Mayo man is to stand trial in January, after being extradited from the US on a charge of dangerous driving causing death.

Francis Carr of Cappaghduff, Tourmakeady, Co Mayo, was extradited on Wednesday, and arrived at Dublin Airport on Thursday morning.

He was arrested by gardaí at 6.49am and later brought to Castlebar to appear before the town's District Court.

Mr Carr has been in custody in the States since he was arrested on foot of an extradition warrant this summer.

He had been seriously injured in the crash three and a half years ago that claimed the lives of his two passengers, but left for the US and has not returned since.

Carr, who is in his 20s, crashed into a wall at Churchfield, Tourmakeedy, on June 4, 2017.

That resulted in the deaths of 18-year-old Orla O'Malley who was a back-seat passenger and 20-year-old Seán Halloran, who was in the front seat. The trio had been returning from a Comórtas Peile na Gaeltachta GAA event in Tourmakeady on the day.

Sergeant Margaret O'Connor told Judge Fiona Lydon that Carr made no reply when the charges were put to him.

Solicitor Tom Walsh, who is representing Carr, made no application for bail and said that his client was prepared to remain in custody until his trial began.

A request for free legal aid for Carr, who had been in custody in America for a significant period of time and had no employment in Ireland, was granted by Judge Lydon.

Vincent Deane, State Solicitor for Mayo, told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment in the matter and asked for a return for trial on January 26 in the Castlebar Circuit Court.

Online Editors


Privacy