OAP sent down Man with over 200 previous convictions jailed for sex assault on care home resident
Pensioner Alexander Reynolds (75) was overheard asking the victim to perform a sex act on him
A 75-year-old man has been jailed for sexually assaulting another vulnerable resident at their care home in Belfast.
Alexander Reynolds received a three-month sentence after he admitted targeting the woman earlier this year.
Reynolds, who has 200 previous convictions, carried out the attack at facilities in the south of the city on February 22.
Belfast Magistrates Court was told a member of staff overheard the pensioner ask the victim to perform a sexual act on him.
Despite her refusal, Reynolds was then spotted holding the woman by the arm with her hand placed inside his trousers.
“When this behaviour was challenged, he let go of the complainant’s wrist and she walked away from him,” a prosecution lawyer said.
Reynolds pleaded guilty to a charge of sexually assaulting a victim who is believed to have limited mental capacity.
Defence barrister Sean O’Hare said his client does not remember the incident, but accepts the accuracy of the care worker’s account.
Mr O’Hare acknowledged Reynolds’ “significant” previous record, including other sexual offences, and detailed his periods of homelessness and isolation before securing accommodation at the facilities.
Earlier that day the defendant had smuggled a bottle of vodka into the premises, the court heard.
“It was against that background that this incident occurred,” Mr O’Hare added.
“Obviously there is zero possibility of him being able to return to that care home.”
Deputy District Judge Liam McStay described Reynolds’ criminal record as “absolutely horrendous”.
“A very significant element of that is in relation to sexual offending,” he observed.
Imposing three months imprisonment, the judge declared: “It requires a custodial sentence, which is mitigated by his guilty plea (but) by nothing else.”
Reynolds is expected to be released again within days, however, due to the time he has already served behind bars on remand.
- No jail for peeper caught watching woman on toilet in Dublin Burger King
- Intoxicated Ed Sheeran fan spat blood in garda station cell after Croke Park gig
- Cork man jailed for repeated rape of his own sister drops appeal against conviction
- Payroll worker who stole over €870k from Virgin Media TV out after just four months
- Co Down paedo who groomed and had sex with 14-year-old girl jailed for eight months
- McDonald’s to sell its Russian business
- Toy Show star Saoirse Ruane facing 'fight of her life' ahead of tumour surgery
- Wes Brown gives his verdict on what happens next for Cristiano Ronaldo at Man United
- Russian state TV airs Taoiseach’s demand for an apology for simulated nuclear attack
- Ben Foster to leave Watford at end of the season