Man who trespassed in the yard of a kitchen manufacturer was 'casing the joint', says judge
A YOUNG man who trespassed in the yard of a kitchen manufacturer was “quite clearly casing the joint” a judge has said as he jailed him for five months.
DJ Costello (23) was caught on CCTV when he climbed over a fence and walked around the empty building, before he walked out again.
The defendant, of Pinewood Green Lawns in Balbriggan, Dublin, admitted trespassing at Tierney Kitchens in Balbriggan on May 6 last year.
Garda Kerry Hewitson told Swords District Court that CCTV showed Costello climb across a fence and walk around the yard and building, before he walked out again.
Costello seemed to be “exploring the area”, she said.
Defence solicitor Fiona D’Arcy said Costello did not put anyone in fear.
He “walked in and walked out” and there was nothing more sinister, she said.
Ms D’Arcy said the defendant had been battling addiction, which had spiralled two years ago when his brother died.
She said Costello had been drug-free for four weeks and asked the judge to give him one final chance.
Imposing a five-month sentence, the judge said Costello was “quite clearly casing the joint”.
'SERIOUS ASSAULT' | Police release CCTV of man after teen ‘seriously injured’ in attack outside Irish pub
allegations | US teen (17) accused of raping drunk girl whilst friends ‘filmed and laughed’
NO SHOW | Dublin teen accused over garda car ramming ‘refused to get out of bed’ for court
'dommy mommy' | Canadian woman facing sack over OnlyFans says teaching doesn’t pay enough
'beautiful soul' | Tributes pour in following death of model and frontline nurse Judy Fitzgerald
'still in touch' | Eamonn Holmes says ‘life’s tough’ for young man at centre of Phillip Schofield affair
Russell Crowe tribute to Ryan Tubridy
'MISCOMMUNICATION' | Kildare mum says doctor ‘forgot’ to tell her about cancer diagnosis
probation | Irish Navy veteran who bent recruit over and slapped her repeatedly on buttocks walks free
BENZ BONANZA | Karim Benzema considering mega €100m-a-year offer to move to Saudi Arabia