Man to face trial over impeding teen murder probe
A MAN accused of impeding the investigation into the murder of Drogheda teenager Keane Mulready-Woods has been sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court.
Gerard McKenna (51), with an address in Rathmullen Park, Drogheda, Co Louth, was charged in February with impeding the apprehension or prosecution of a person allegedly involved in killing the boy last January.
He had been remanded in custody and appeared again before Judge Alan Mitchell at Cloverhill District Court yesterday.
He was served with a book of evidence by Detective Sergeant Peter Cooney.
Judge Mitchell noted the Director of Public Prosecutions had directed trial on indictment. He acceded to a request to grant a return for trial order, and told the accused he was being sent forward to the Central Criminal Court in Dublin.
Judge Mitchell warned him he must notify the prosecution within 14 days if he intended to use an alibi in his defence.
Mr McKenna, dressed in a grey tracksuit and wearing a face mask, did not address the court. He nodded as the judge made the trial order and explained the meaning of an alibi.
A date for his next appearance has not yet been set, but it will take place during the new court term in October.
Mr McKenna has not yet indicated how he will plead.
Last Tuesday, Judge Mitchell was told Mr McKenna wished to apply for bail. There would be garda objections based on the seriousness of the case, he heard.
Defence counsel Brian Mulvany told the judge his client was not proceeding with the bail application yesterday.
He added that an application before the High Court for bail was already in train.
Mulready-Woods (17) was last seen alive by his family on the evening of Sunday, January 12. He was killed and his body was dismembered.