| 9.4°C Dublin

Man punched garda after she was forced to pepper spray him


Stock image

Stock image

Getty Images/Ingram Publishing

Stock image

A YOUNG man punched a garda in the face after she had to pepper spray him over his violent behaviour towards her on a Dublin street.

In another incident, Mohamed Lacheb (23) fled from gardaí, asking "what are you going to do, chase me?" before being chased and caught moments later.

Judge Bryan Smyth jailed him for 13 months when he appeared in Dublin District Court.

The accused, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to assaulting Garda Amy Cunningham on February 14 last, as well as a series of public order, drugs and theft offences.

The court heard Gda Cunningham was dealing with another person at Railway Street when the accused approached her from behind.

He bumped into her and she thought it was an accident and asked if he was OK.

Lacheb was "highly aggressive" and she could see he was under the influence of an intoxicant.

When she asked him to calm down, he began "swinging his fists".

She called for help and grabbed onto him, but he continued to punch out towards her.

She had to pepper spray him and was hit by the spray.

Lacheb took off on foot and the spray had taken effect by the time she caught up with him.

He punched her in the face, grabbed her stab vest and pushed her to the ground and ran off again.

She had a slight mark on her face from the man's punch but there was no lasting effect.

On January 13 last, a garda was called to Boylesports on Parnell Street where the accused was refusing to leave. When the garda escorted him out, Lacheb became aggressive, and refused to give his name.


He said "what are you going to do? Chase me?" and ran away. The garda caught him after a short pursuit.

He became violent, swinging his arms and legs and had to be handcuffed and arrested.

At Store Street Garda Station, he began kicking out at gardaí.

The accused was from Morocco and had come to Ireland as an unaccompanied minor.

He was in care until the age of 18, after which he lived in city centre hostels.

Lacheb's immigration status was uncertain, and he was unable to work here or claim social welfare.

There was "little hope" as to his prospects and he found himself taking drugs to deal with that hopelessness.