| -2.8°C Dublin

Knife assault Man lured to Temple Bar lane and had face slashed from 'ear to his nose', court hears

A photograph of the alleged victim's wound was handed in to court and was described as 'graphic'

Close

The accused allegedly helped lure the man to a secluded location at Bedford Lane, Temple Bar. Photo: Google

The accused allegedly helped lure the man to a secluded location at Bedford Lane, Temple Bar. Photo: Google

The accused allegedly helped lure the man to a secluded location at Bedford Lane, Temple Bar. Photo: Google

A knife assault victim was "ambushed" in a city centre lane way where an attacker slashed his face from nose to ear, it has been alleged.

Jonathan Kenny (40) is accused of helping to lure the man to a doorway where the alleged assault happened.

A judge refused him bail following garda objections and his case was adjourned at Dublin District Court for the directions of the DPP.

Mr Kenny, of Monasterboice Road, Crumlin, is charged with assault causing harm and possession of a knife.

The court heard he was not alleged to have carried out the assault, but gardaí claimed he was a "willing accomplice."

The prosecuting garda said there were two co-accused in the case, who were previously before the courts.

A photograph of the alleged victim's wound was handed in to court and was described as "graphic."

The garda said it was not intended to shock but was to show the extent of the man's injuries.

He said it was alleged on September 30, 2021, the accused helped lure the man to a secluded location at Bedford Lane, Temple Bar, under false pretences.

In a fire escape doorway, the man was "ambushed" by a co-conspirator who used a stanley knife to slash his face from his nose to his right ear. The alleged victim fled.

According to gardaí, the attacker handed the blade to Mr Kenny to dispose of, and Mr Kenny handed it to the third co-accused.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The alleged victim suffered serious harm during the attack and went to St James's Hospital.

Evidence included CCTV footage, the garda said.

The Stanley blade had been recovered and submitted for forensic examination.

The garda said Mr Kenny had exercised his right to make no comment.

The defence said his client was presumed innocent.

He was not accused of being the main perpetrator, it was not alleged that he caused the injury, but that he took possession of the knife.

A trial might not take place for three years.

The man accused of inflicting the injury had been brought before the court previously and granted bail.

The third man had been remanded in custody.

The alleged victim was still friendly with Mr Kenny, the defence said.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy