| 5.1°C Dublin

sex pest Man jailed after groping sleeping teenage boy on Dublin bus

Honorio Medina Barboza (49) claimed he had thought the 15-year-old victim was a “lovestruck” gay man who had signalled that he was attracted to him.

Close

Honorio Medina Barboza

Honorio Medina Barboza

Honorio Medina Barboza

Honorio Medina Barboza

/

Honorio Medina Barboza

A SEX pest who groped a sleeping teenage boy on the back seat of a Dublin bus has been jailed for seven months.

Honorio Medina Barboza (49) claimed he had thought the 15-year-old victim was a “lovestruck” gay man who had signalled that he was attracted to him.

Judge Bryan Smyth sentenced him, saying he had shown “little responsibility” for his behaviour.

However, Barboza walked free from court shortly after, when he served notice of appeal and took up bail.

The accused, a Spanish interpreter with an address at St Edmund’s Park, Lucan, had pleaded guilty to sexual assault.

Close

Honorio Medina Barboza

Honorio Medina Barboza

Honorio Medina Barboza

Dublin District Court heard the boy was travelling on a bus from west Dublin into the city centre on a morning in July 2019 when the accused boarded. He sat beside the victim, who was asleep at the back.

While the bus was on the quays, Barboza placed his left hand on the victim’s genital area, outside his clothing, and stroked him a number of times, Det Gda PJ Gallagher said.

The boy challenged the accused and told him to “feck off”, at which Barboza said: “there’s no need to scream, calm down.”

He then got up and when the doors opened, he got off the bus.

Barboza was only identified when CCTV footage was broadcast on RTE's Crimecall in a garda appeal months later.

He pleaded guilty last November and the case was back before the court for a probation report and victim impact statement.

Defence solicitor Lorraine Stephens said the victim appeared in the statement to be a “very resilient young man.”

Barboza apologised to him in “the strongest terms” and had written a letter but the gardai did not feel this was appropriate as the victim wanted to “put the matter behind him.”

Barboza was prepared to offer €500 as a compensation “gesture,” or charity donation.

In the probation report, Barboza stated he did not realise the age of the victim, Ms Stephens said. However, he “wholly accepts it was his responsibility and he was 125pc in the wrong,” she added.

The accused had no mental health issues and the incident was serious but isolated, she said. Barboza had been in the country for five years “without so much as a parking ticket.”

Ms Stephens also asked the judge to take account of the “punishment” that had been inflicted on the accused by newspaper coverage of his case.

He worked as an interpreter for a pharmaceutical company and his employer was “aware of the mistake that he made.”

She asked the judge to suspend any sentence.

Judge Smyth said it was of concern to the court that the probation report stated Barboza accepted “little responsibility” for his behaviour and “minimal insight.”

He had attributed his behaviour to a perceived “lovestruck” signal from the victim, who was underage, asleep and did not communicate with him.

Barboza had said he was of the belief that the boy was “awake and an adult gay man who indicated that he was attracted to the defendant.”

The judge set recognisances in the event of an appeal and the accused later served notice of appeal and took up bail.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy