'cut to shreds' | 

Man found guilty of stabbing man in Longford pharmacy remanded

The altercation ended up inside a pharmacy where the victim said he was begging his attacker to stop because he was 'bleeding to death'

Stock image

Jessica Thompson

A man has been remanded in custody until May after being found guilty of section 4 assault at Longford Circuit Court today.

Denis Hannifin, Curry, Athlone Road, Longford, has been found guilty of assault, affray, production of a knife, possession of a knife and recklessly or intentionally causing serious harm to Denis McGinley in December 2018.

The altercation took place in Longford Shopping Centre on the evening of December 7, 2018, when Mr Hannifin was Christmas shopping with his wife.

The court heard that Mr McGinley had parked outside while his sister did some shopping in Tesco. A few minutes later, he received a phone call from Shirley McGinley who told her brother that Denis Hannifin was in Tesco and that she was afraid to walk out on her own.

Mr Hannifin, when interviewed by Gardaí after his arrest, said that he had been shopping with his wife and had just picked up a wrapped present from Lloyd's Pharmacy.

CCTV footage played in court over the course of the three day trial showed both men crossing paths at the entrance to the shopping centre and Mr McGinley swinging punches at Mr Hannifin, who takes what a garda witness described as "a shiny implement" believed to be a knife from his pocket.

Mr McGinley explained to the court this week that he "panicked" and "lashed out" at the other man because he "thought he was going to prevent me getting to my sister".

The altercation ended up inside Lloyd's Pharmacy where Mr McGinley said he was "begging him to stop" because "I was bleeding to death". CCTV footage shows a large amount of blood on the floor of the pharmacy.

"I thought I was going to die," Mr McGinley recalled.

Mr Tallat Ejaz, a surgeon at Mullingar Regional Hospital, told the court that he examined Mr McGinley on December 7, 2018, when he arrived at A&E with "multiple stab wounds".

"When he arrived, he was bleeding profusely. That's why we looked at him straight away, without delay," said Mr Ejaz, who said Mr McGinley was brought from A&E straight to surgery.

"Although his injuries were not life-threatening, he was bleeding profusely and if there was no surgery, he would bleed to death."

Addressing the jury before they retired to begin deliberations, prosecution barrister Shane Geraghty stressed the seriousness of the charges on the indictment.

"Mr Hannifin had a knife in his pocket. We're talking about Christmas time in Longford, in a shopping centre," said Mr Geraghty.

"He had armed himself with a knife. So self-defence just doesn't fly. A knife is a deadly weapon. Yes, he was being punched. Yes, he was entitled to use reasonable force. But the first thing he does is introduce a knife in a vicious way.

"He makes shreds of Mr McGinley's jumper. He makes shreds of his body."

Mr Hannifin's defence barrister, Barry White, put forward a lengthy case for self-defence on the part of Mr Hannifin, stressing that his client had been attacked by Mr McGinley and was simply protecting himself.

He brought forward evidence this week of a phone call between Mr McGinley and his father, which he said proved there was intent to "knock sparks" out of Mr Hannifin.

"Make sure he doesn't have a knife because he probably will," were words spoken by a man, presumed by the defence to be Mr McGinley's father.

"He probably will but I'll knock sparks out of him before he gets a chance to use it," said the other man, presumed to be Mr McGinley.

Mr McGinley, who maintained a stance that he had spoken to no member of his family in the lead-up to the incident, save for his sister Shirley, told defence barrister Barry White that he did not recognise either of the voices on the recording, nor did he remember having the conversation. He did, however, confirm that the phone was his.

Mr White, addressing the jury, said that "legislation provides that a person is entitled to defend themselves and they're entitled to a degree of force in self-defence".

"You might be familiar with the expression 'fight or flight'. There was no opportunity for flight. You have a man, bigger than you, stronger than you, younger than you. What would you do?" said Mr White.

"Would you just stand there like a punching bag? The only thing that is reasonable in the circumstance is you defend yourself. That is no more than Mr Hannifin did. He defended himself against a vicious assault."

The case was closed yesterday evening and the twelve-person jury returned this morning to begin deliberations. They returned a guilty verdict on all counts on the indictment following just over two hours of deliberations.

Mr Geraghty, on behalf of the state, made an application to remand Mr Hannifin in custody, while Mr White argued a case for remanding him on continuing bail until his sentencing date.

He told Judge Francis Comerford that his client has attended every court date regarding this case. He also stressed that Mr Hannifin is a family man and "not a flight risk".

Judge Comerford noted Mr White's application but said "this was a section 4 assault where there was no admission of liability".

"It is, therefore, appropriate that he be remanded in custody until May 9 for sentencing."

Mr Hannifin will reappear before Judge Francis Comerford at Longford Circuit Court on May 9, 2022, where he will be sentenced.

Today's Headlines

More Courts

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices