Charges Man due in court following serious assault and €490,000 drug seizure in Carlow
He had been arrested after another man was stabbed around 20 times in a drug and alcohol induced frenzy
A man is due in court this morning following a serious assault and €490,000 drug seizure in Tullow, Co Carlow.
Gardaí have charged the man who was arrested at a house in the early hours of Monday morning.
He had been arrested after another man was stabbed around 20 times in a drug and alcohol induced frenzy which ultimately led gardai to seize almost half a million euro worth of cocaine.
The bizarre situation unfolded at the property when a vicious row broke out between two pals who were on “a major session”.
The victim in the case who is a Polish national was “stabbed all over the body, up to 20 times” by his pal who is an Irish national.
The stab victim managed to escape from the house but was chased by his attacker.
Neighbours were awoken by the dramatic scenes and gardai were contacted which led to a number of units rushing to the scene in Tullow.
When they arrived at the scene they observed the suspect but before they got a chance to arrest him, the 33-year-old who was said to be “off his head” fled at speed from officers and escaped through fields.
Meanwhile, gardai attempted to find the badly injured man who was eventually located hiding from the suspect in a friend’s car.
He was immediately rushed to hospital for emergency treatment.
With the suspect still at large, gardai commenced a major intelligence operation in an attempt to locate him.
This led to his arrest at a property in which a female associate of the suspect resides.
While carrying out a search of the house, gardai discovered the massive cocaine haul in a bag – one of the biggest seizures in the south east of the country this year.
In a statement gardai said: “Gardaí attended at the scene of an incident at a house in Tullow, Co Carlow following reports of a serious assault on Monday, 4th April 2022, shortly after 3am,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.
“On arrival of Gardaí a man aged 33 years was discovered with apparent stab wounds. “He was taken to St Luke's Hospital, Kilkenny for treatment, his condition is described as serious but stable.
“In a follow up operation, a house in the Tullow area was searched by Gardaí and a man in his mid 20s was arrested in connection with the alleged assault.
"A large quantity of cocaine with an estimated street value of €490,000 subject to analysis, was also discovered inside the house.
“The drugs seized will now be forwarded to Forensic Science Ireland for analysis."
The man is due to appear before Carlow District Court at 10.30am.
- Woman found not guilty of murdering her husband after night out in Wexford
- Sicko who sent 150 vile, pornographic emails to colleague blames 'cultural differences'
- Son of murdered INLA chief Dominic 'Mad Dog' McGlinchey goes to court over inquest documents
- RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept
- Judge fines motorists over €215,000 for failing to pay M50 tolls
- Huge boost for Liverpool as injury update on Mohamed Salah and Virgil van Dijk is released
- Mikel Arteta admits ‘it’s not easy’ to defend Arsenal display in Newcastle loss
- Johnny Depp fulfilling promise that Amber Heard ‘will never see his eyes again’
- Blackpool's Jake Daniels becomes first UK currently active male footballer to come out as gay
- Newcastle victory dents Arsenal’s hopes of Champions League spot