remanded in custody Man charged with Sligo murders of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee makes third court appearance
Yousef Palani (22) appeared before Sligo District Court via video link from Castlerea prison this morning
A man charged with the murders of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee and assaulting a third man has been remanded in custody until next month.
Yousef Palani (22) of 10 Markievicz Heights, Sligo, appeared before Sligo District Court via video link from Castlerea prison this morning.
Mr Palani has been in custody since he was charged following a special sitting of the Sligo District Court on April 14.
Dressed in a grey tracksuit and green polo shirt and carrying a two-litre bottle of orange, Mr Palani was escorted into the room by two prison officers.
He confirmed to the court clerk he could hear proceedings, “Yeah, I can,” he said.
Palani greeted Judge Sandra Murphy and his solicitor.
His solicitor, John Anderson, asked Palani how he was, to which he replied: “Sound.”
Mr Anderson said there would not be a bail application and asked Judge Murphy for a further adjournment on consent between both parties to June 9 as the garda file was still being prepared.
“It is a complex file, as you can imagine,” Mr Anderson said.
Mr Anderson told Judge Murphy the file involved three separate matters.
He said the state was awaiting directions from the DPP in relation to the Section 4 assault charge.
Sergeant Derek Butler agreed to the adjournment and confirmed the file was still in the preparation phase for the DPP.
Judge Murphy remanded Palani in custody to Castlerea prison and ordered him to appear again via video link at Sligo District Court on June 9, 2022.
It is the third time Yousef Palani has appeared in court charged with the murders of two men and assault causing harm to another over three days from April 9 to April 12 in different locations in Sligo town.
The 22-year-old stands charged with the murder of auctioneer and political activist Aidan Moffitt (41) at his home in Cartron Heights in Sligo town on April 10.
He was also charged with the murder of retired care assistant Michael Snee (58) at City View Apartments in Sligo on April 12.
He is also charged with assault causing serious harm to a third man at Cleveragh Road in Sligo on April 9.
At his last appearance, the court heard Palani received psychiatric care while on remand in prison.
- Two men (20s) charged in connection with burglary at Dublin industrial park
- Notorious Co Down man remanded into custody for 'stalking' woman
- Coleen Rooney's Irish bodyguard predicts 'she'll win her case' against Rebekah Vardy
- Ex RTE journalist found guilty of sex assault on sleeping woman silent on conviction
- Mum-of-three convicted of running illegal puppy farm out of council home
- Andrea Radrizzani looks forward with Jesse Marsch after Leeds retain PL status
- Oleksandr Zinchenko gives heartfelt thanks for support
- Pep Guardiola hails Man City achievement and credits title rivals Liverpool
- Conor Lehane the star of the show as Cork hammer Tipp to lay down Championship marker
- 800 take part in race in memory of Ashling Murphy in Tullamore