| 12.5°C Dublin

Further remanded Man charged with murders of woman and her two children awaits trial order

The accused faced his eighth hearing when he appeared before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court.

Close

Stock image

Stock image

Stock image

A man charged with the murders of a woman and two children at their south Co. Dublin home has been further remanded in custody to be served with a book of evidence next week.

A murder investigation was launched following a post-mortem into the three deaths in October. Neither they nor the defendant can be named for legal reasons.

Gardai arrested a man in his 30s and charged him after which he made no reply.

The accused faced his eighth hearing when he appeared before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has formally directed trial on indictment in the Central Criminal Court.

Judge Blake remanded him in continuing custody to appear again on April 28 next.

A book of evidence needs to be completed and served on the accused before the district court can grant a return for trial order.

He was first held in custody on Nov. 30 by Judge Anne Watkin at Dun Laoghaire District Court.

Evidence of arrest, charge and caution was given by Detective Sergeant White. He had told Judge Watkin that section 252 of the Children Act applied because two of the injured parties were juveniles.

Last year, the Court of Appeal’s held that anonymity can also apply to deceased child crime victims.

The media was told by the judge at the man's first hearing that there were reporting restrictions and a subsequent attempt to have them lifted was unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, a bill to allow murdered children to be named once again has passed all stages in the Dáil, and on Monday it got Seanad approval.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said the Children (Amendment) Bill then said she will bring it to President Michael D Higgins for consideration and signature.

The President has seven days to sign the legislation after which Minister McEntee has seven days to sign a Commencement Order.

It should come into effect by May 3 at the latest.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy