| 15.9°C Dublin

Court appearance Man (28) charged with producing hatchet during clash between two groups in Dublin's inner city

Footage of the scenes, at the intersection of Creighton Street and Hanover Street, emerged on social media.

Close

 Aaron McCarthy (28), of Crinan Strand, Sheriff Street, Dublin 1, leaving Dublin District Court yesterday.
PIC: Conor Ó Mearáin

Aaron McCarthy (28), of Crinan Strand, Sheriff Street, Dublin 1, leaving Dublin District Court yesterday. PIC: Conor Ó Mearáin

Aaron McCarthy (28), of Crinan Strand, Sheriff Street, Dublin 1, leaving Dublin District Court yesterday. PIC: Conor Ó Mearáin

A 28-YEAR-OLD man has been charged with assault and brandishing a hatchet during a clash between two groups in Dublin.

Gardai commenced an investigation after a young man was injured in a violent confrontation in the inner city on the afternoon of November 3 last year.

Footage of the scenes, at the intersection of Creighton Street and Hanover Street, emerged on social media.

Aaron McCarthy of Crinan Strand, Sheriff Street, Dublin, was charged with engaging in violent disorder with others, and affray in connection with the incident.

He is also accused of related offences: assault causing harm to a name male as well as production of a spanner and a hatchet as weapons capable of causing serious injuries, at Creighton Street, Dublin 2, on Nov. 3, 2020.

The charges are contrary to the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person, Public Order and the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Acts.

He appeared before Judge Anthony Halpin at Dublin District Court on Saturday after Garda Sean McCarthy arrested him at 7.35 that morning on Sheriff Street.

He was brought to Store Street station where the charges were put to him, and he made no reply after caution.

He was handed copies of the charges.

Garda McCarthy told the court there was no objection to bail, “subject to conditions”.

He asked that the accused would be ordered to have no contact with co-defendants or the injured party.

The garda sought a condition to be imposed for Mr McCarthy to stay out of the Dublin 2 area, “especially Pearse House and its environs”.

He also requested that the accused would have to sign on three days a week at Store Street Garda station, and notify gardai of any change of address.

Defence counsel Kevin McCrave told the court his client was happy to abide by those conditions.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Judge Halpin imposed the bail terms.

He also noted that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment meaning the case will go forward to the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.

Mr McCarthy was ordered to appear again at the district court on June 25 next to be served with a book of evidence and for a return for trial order to be granted.

The defendant, who did not address the court, has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Legal aid was granted.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy