| 19.1°C Dublin

'severe pain' Kevin Lunney needed 20 stitches to the face after suffering multiple slash wounds, court hears

Mr Lunney had to have surgery to the broken leg he suffered in the attack and was in pain for weeks afterward, the trial was told.


Businessman Kevin Lunney

Businessman Kevin Lunney

Businessman Kevin Lunney

Businessman Kevin Lunney suffered “disfigurement” and scarring from multiple slash wounds after he was abducted and tortured, the Special Criminal Court has heard.

A hospital consultant said Mr Lunney had to have surgery to the broken leg he suffered in the attack and was in pain for weeks afterward, unable to sleep well and “fearful of going out in public places.”

His facial lacerations had required more than 20 stitches and he had covered them with a beard when the doctor saw him two months later.

Evidence was continuing in the non-jury trial of four men charged over Mr Lunney’s kidnapping in 2019.

The Quinn Industrial Holdings director (52) was bundled into a car outside his Co Fermanagh home and taken to a container where his captors broke his leg with a wooden bat, slashed his face with a Stanley knife and doused his wounds in bleach while ordering him to resign from the company.

They carved “QIH” into his chest with the knife before dumping him, stripped to his boxer shorts, on a roadside in Drumcoghill, Co Cavan.

Darren Redmond (27), of Caledon Road, Alan O’Brien (40) of Shelmalier Road, both in East Wall, Dublin, and a man “YZ” (40), who cannot legally be named, are all alleged to have been directly involved in the attack.

Luke O’Reilly (67), from Mullahoran Lower, Kilcogy, Co Cavan is accused of providing “material assistance in the planning and execution of the offences."

They all face the same charges of false imprisonment and causing serious harm to Mr Lunney at Drumbrade, Ballinagh, Co Cavan, on September 17th, 2019, which they deny.

Today, Dr Muhammad Ashraf Butt, head of emergency medicine at Cavan General Hospital, told Sean Guerin SC, prosecuting, that he met Mr Lunney on November 25, 2019.

Mr Lunney gave him a detailed account of what had happened to him on September 17. He was aware Mr Lunney had been assessed by paramedics at 10.40pm that night.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

At the time, he had suffered slash wounds to the face, was hypothermic and complaining of pain to the right lower leg, right right upper arm and face.


Luke O’Reilly arriving at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin (Brian Lawless/PA)

Luke O’Reilly arriving at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin (Brian Lawless/PA)

Luke O’Reilly arriving at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin (Brian Lawless/PA)

The paramedics noticed he had bleach poured over him and his pain was recorded as “very severe.”

He arrived at the Emergency Department just before 11pm and was noted to have multiple lacerations to the face - a 10cm-long laceration on the right side, and two parallel 7cm-long wounds to the left.

There was a 1.5cm puncture wound to the left cheek and he was complaining of pain in his right abdomen and right forearm and severe pain on his right shin.

There was a laceration around the left wrist and superficial wounds to the front of the chest and abdomen, as well as tenderness to the right pelvis.

Examination revealed tenderness to the right upper arm, wrist and forearm, the right mid shin was bruised and tender.

There was tenderness to the left elbow and shoulder blade and bruising on the upper arm and lower leg.

He was given IV fluids and multiple injections of morphine and paracetamol for pain, as well as morphine based tablets.

The doctor agreed a “fairly extensive regime of medication” had been required.

Mr Guerin said Mr Lunney had described not being able to walk.

Dr Ashraf Butt said: “If you break your tibia, you cannot walk on that leg. He would have been unable to mobilise himself or go anywhere from that position.”

This was more than likely why he was hypothermic, Dr Ashraf Butt said, agreeing that not being fully clothed would also have an effect.

The court heard a plaster cast was applied to above the knee. The wound to the right side of the face required 13 stitches and the wound on the left side needed 11 stitches. Others were closed with glue.

Mr Lunney was transferred to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda for orthopaedic care.

He had a nail surgically inserted from the knee to the ankle to stabilise the bone on September 19 and was discharged on September 24.

The following day, he was provided with a soft boot and the stitches were removed from his face.

On examining him on November 25, Dr Ashraf Butt noted the facial scarring remained uncomfortable and Mr Lunney had covered the scars with a beard.

The injuries to his face, limbs and body had been very painful for a number of weeks before improving. Headaches and nausea had resolved.

There was a 7cm transverse scar from below Mr Lunney’s right ear to his right cheek, and a 10cm scar from the front of the right ear to the jawbone.

There was a 1cm-square scar on the right cheek and a 2.5cm scar on the left side of the face.

The doctor also noted an 8cm vertical superficial scar on the lower chest and upper abdomen, a 13cm scar on the left abdomen, and three scars of 4cm, 13cm scar and 4cm on the chest.

There were also scars to the wrist and legs as well as surgical scars and bony swelling to the leg.

Mr Lunney told the doctor he had not been sleeping well due to the pain and he was “fearful of going out in public places.”

In all, there were multiple lacerations and bruises, mild head injury and a fracture of the right tibia due to assault.

This had caused disfigurement to the face and abdomen of Mr Lunney, the court heard.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt, Judge Gerard Griffin and Judge David McHugh.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Top Videos