| 11.3°C Dublin

challenge Kevin Lunney abduction trial hears challenge to mobile phone records set to be put before the court

Close

Kevin Lunney

Kevin Lunney

Kevin Lunney

The Kevin Lunney abduction trial has continued to hear technical evidence about mobile phone records gardaí got under warrant during the early stages of the investigation.

Defence lawyers are challenging phone data that prosecutors are seeking to put before the Special Criminal Court as part of their case.

The records relate to mobile numbers attributed to the accused and others.

Four men are on trial at the non-jury, three-judge court charged over Mr Lunney’s kidnapping and torture in 2019.

The Quinn Industrial Holdings director (52) was bundled into a car outside his Co Fermanagh home and taken to a container where his captors broke his leg, slashed his face with a stanley knife and doused his wounds in bleach while ordering him to resign from the company.

They carved “QIH” into his chest with the knife and told him it was so he would “remember” before dumping him on a roadside in Co Cavan, the court has heard.

Darren Redmond (27), of Caledon Road, Alan O’Brien (40) of Shelmalier Road, both in East Wall, Dublin, and a man “YZ” (40), who cannot legally be named, are all alleged to have been directly involved in the attack.

Luke O’Reilly (67), from Mullahoran Lower, Kilcogy, Co Cavan allegedly provided “material assistance in the planning and execution of the offences" and owned the land where Mr Lunney was allegedly held.

They all face the same charges of false imprisonment and causing serious harm to Mr Lunney at Drumbrade, Ballinagh, Co Cavan, on September 17th, 2019, which they deny.

The trial has previously heard the prosecution will seek to prove that both Mr O’Reilly and YZ were in phone contact with a now-deceased suspect, Cyril McGuinness, also known as “Dublin Jimmy” on the night of the abduction.

In his opening speech last week, prosecutor Sean Guerin SC said it will be alleged YZ called McGuinness looking for bleach and McGuinness then called Mr O’Reilly who went and bought it.

He said the prosecution would also allege phone records showed YZ travelled in a Renault Kangoo from a north Dublin apartment complex to Cavan on the day of the abduction, September 17, 2019 and the day before. The mobile data also linked Mr Redmond to the journey on the 17th, it would be alleged.

Defence barristers have objected to the phone evidence in a voir dire or trial within the trial.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The case continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding, sitting with Judge Gerard Griffin and Judge David McHugh.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy