| 19.1°C Dublin

Trial latest Jury retires for evening in Naas baseball bat murder trial

The jury will resume its deliberations on Tuesday


Stock image

Stock image

Stock image

A jury will resume its deliberations on Tuesday in the trial of a man, charged with murdering a 20-year-old with one blow of a baseball bat.

Justice Michael White spent two days last week charging the jury following a trial of more than four weeks at the Central Criminal Court.

He told the jurors that the most significant issue for them was provocation.

Zoltan Almasi (49), a Serbian man with an address at Harbour View, Naas, Co. Kildare, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Athy man Joseph Dunne, but guilty to his manslaughter at Harbour View on May 16 2014.

Mr Dunne died after receiving a blow to the back of his head, shattering his skull and driving the bone in towards the brain.

The trial heard that Mr Dunne had banged on Mr Almasi’s van, which was parked outside his home. The truck driver then chased Mr Dunne away with a baseball bat. He says that he didn’t realise that he had struck him with the bat until he later saw an ambulance and garda car in the area.

The defence has suggested that the force with which he had wielded the bat could be evidence that he had lost control, one of the elements of the partial defence of provocation.

However, the prosecution has said that the deceased was running for his life, retreating and no threat to his killer, who she argued struck him in anger.

Justice White sent the jury out to begin considering its verdict on Monday morning.

“You have to consider a unanimous verdict until I direct you otherwise,” he said.

He also asked the jury to phrase any questions so those outside the jury do not know what’s going on inside the jury room.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

He explained that the jury could not deliberate in the actual jury room because of the pandemic. Another courtroom was sealed off for the process instead.

The registrar handed the foreperson a number of exhibits, before the jury left for the other courtroom. These included the baseball bat used in the killing.

The jury returned after a number of hours with a written question for the judge. In reply, he summarised the evidence regarding Mr Dunne’s cause of death and repeated the definition of murder.

They had deliberated for a number of hours before going home for the evening.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Top Videos