| 15.8°C Dublin

legal aid granted Judge orders trial of two men for murder of Keane Mulready-Woods to be held in non-jury court

Paul Crosby (25) and Gerard Cruise (47) are both charged with the murder of the teenager at a house in Rathmullan Park, Drogheda on a date unknown between 11 and 14 January, 2020.

Close

Paul Crosby

Paul Crosby

Paul Crosby

A JUDGE has ordered that two men are to be tried at the Special Criminal Court for the murder of 17-year-old Keane Mulready-Woods.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt made the formal orders at the non-jury court today after the accused Paul Crosby (25) and Gerard Cruise (47) were sent forward from the district court two weeks ago.

The cases against Mr Crosby, of Rathmullan Park, Drogheda, Co Louth and Mr Cruise, with an address at Rathmullan Park and another in Dublin 1, were adjourned for a week.

They are both charged with the murder of Keane Mulready-Woods at a house in Rathmullan Park, Drogheda on a date unknown between 11 and 14 January, 2020.

Today, State Solicitor Michael O’Donovan made an ex parte application at the three-judge Special Criminal Court, saying the accused were sent forward from Drogheda District Court on the single charge in the book of evidence.

He said he had a copy of a certificate from the DPP and applied for an order under Section 49 of the Offences Against the State Act that the accused are to be tried by the Special Criminal Court.

Close

Keane Mulready-Woods

Keane Mulready-Woods

Keane Mulready-Woods

The court heard Mr Cruise was on bail while Mr Crosby remains in custody. “Unusually,” Mr O’Donovan said, a date was required for the accused’s first appearance.

Mr Justice Hunt set a date of June 18, when Mr Cruise is to appear on bail, while an order was made for the production of Mr Crosby from custody.

The accused had been sent forward by Judge Eirinn McKiernan from a sitting of Drogheda District Court in Dundalk on May 24.

Books of evidence were served on that date and Judge McKiernan gave both accused the formal alibi caution.

She also ordered prosecution disclosure to include videos of the interviews gardaí conducted with the two accused.

The judge granted free legal aid, to cover one junior and one senior counsel due to the seriousness of the charges.

Keane-Mulready Woods was last seen alive in Drogheda on 12 January, 2020.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The following day, some of the teenager's dismembered body parts were found in a sports bag in the Moatview area of Coolock in Dublin.

Two days later, more remains were found in a burning car in a laneway in the Drumcondra area of Dublin.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy