| 1.7°C Dublin

'Menace' Judge blasts 'reckless' teen (19) who threw lit fireworks from window of Dublin Bus

Close

Martin Maughan

Martin Maughan

Martin Maughan

A "MENACE" who hurled lit fireworks out of the top window of a double decker bus at passers-by in Dublin city centre could have caused an explosion or a death, a judge said.

Martin Maughan (19) was among a group of youths caught throwing the fireworks from the upper deck of a Dublin bus on a busy street in an “extremely reckless and dangerous” incident.

Judge Colm Roberts gave him a three-week prison sentence at Blanchardstown District Court but backdated it to match time he had already spent in custody.

Maughan, of St Mark’s Green, Clondalkin pleaded guilty to throwing a lit firework.

Garda Sergeant Walter Sweeney said the incident happened at 12.02am on October 20, 2019. Gardai were on beat duty at Dame Street when members of the public alerted them to a stopped Dublin bus on College Green.

The driver told the gardai a group of males on the upper deck had been throwing fireworks out the window at passers-by while the bus was in transit.

The gardai went upstairs and met the accused who was searched and found in possession of fireworks. He was a minor at the time and was released into the care of his mother.

When CCTV footage from the bus was viewed, it captured Maughan being handed a lit firework and proceeding to throw it out the window. He was deemed not suitable for the youth diversion programme and was charged.

Separately, Maughan committed a breach of the peace at Cookstown Luas stop in Tallaght last May 27. He was also found in possession of €20 worth of cannabis. The accused had previous convictions, but not for drugs offences.

The judge said Maughan’s actions were “extremely reckless and dangerous.”

Defence barrister Ciaran MacLoughlin accepted this and that the accused’s behaviour had been extremely immature.

“If it went underneath a car that was leaking or something there could have been an explosion or a death,” the judge said.

Mr MacLoughlin said Maughan had spent three weeks in custody after another judge refused him bail when he was arrested on a warrant for failing to appear in court. He eventually got high court bail and his time in custody “changed him dramatically,” giving him “the kick up the backside that he needed.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

He had never been in custody before and it was a “very sobering experience for him,” Mr MacLoughlin said.

“He needs to concentrate on something other than being a menace,” the judge said, adding that he did not know whether Maughan had been a “ringleader or a follower” in the incident.

The court heard the accused hoped to become a plumber and the judge dismissed the drugs charge, saying Maughan might want to travel to the US to work.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy