| 10.1°C Dublin

heartbreaking tribute Jason Corbett's sister backs petition demanding retrial of Molly and Tom Martens

Tracey Corbett says her brother "was a man of integrity and kindness.”

Close

Jason Corbett and Molly Martens with Jason's sister Tracey Corbett Lynch and her husband David. Photo: Brendan Gleeson

Jason Corbett and Molly Martens with Jason's sister Tracey Corbett Lynch and her husband David. Photo: Brendan Gleeson

Jason Corbett and Molly Martens with Jason's sister Tracey Corbett Lynch and her husband David. Photo: Brendan Gleeson

Jason Corbett's sister has shared a petition asking for a retrial for her brother’s killers after it was announced that they had been offered a plea deal. 

Yesterday, it emerged that Tom (71) and Molly (37) Martens had been offered a plea bargain by US prosecutors over the killing of Irish father of two Jason Corbett (39).

After the news broke, Tracey posted a link to a petition on her Twitter account, demanding a retrial for the Martens and asking her followers to help give her family the justice they deserve.

The petition states that the plea deal is a “miscarriage of justice” and “only adds further pain and disdain to a family still grieving the loss of a loved one.”

Tracey also shared a photograph of her late brother on Twitter, writing underneath:

“This is Jason.

"He was just a hard-working Dad who loved his two children more than anything else in the world.

"He had a great big smile, was great craic, an excellent friend & an even better brother.

"He loved golf & his job in Lexington, NC. He was a man of integrity and kindness.”

In 2017, Molly and Tom Martens were convicted of murder following a high-profile trial.

The court heard that Jason was beaten to death as he slept with a metal baseball bat and a concrete paving brick in his Winston-Salem home.

If Molly and Tom Martens accept this deal, they will not face a US retrial for the second degree murder of the Limerick businessman in August 2015 but will instead accept a lesser charge, most likely manslaughter.

The plea bargain was offered almost three weeks after the North Carolina Supreme Court quashed the second degree murder convictions for the father and daughter over evidential issues.

Mr Corbett's family - who had travelled to North Carolina to meet with the Davidson County District Attorney last week - expressed their shock at the decision.

Jason’s sister Tracey Corbett-Lynch said: “We are devastated that the District Attorney for Davidson County has decided to offer a plea deal and not seek a retrial of Tom and Molly Martens who admitted killing Jason Corbett, leaving his children, then aged 10 and eight, orphaned.”

Tracey and her husband David Lynch are now legal guardians of Jason’s orphaned children.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy