Appaling and insulting Father’s disgust as son’s killer avoids going back to jail
Thug now wanted in Australia for brutal attacks on two men
THE father of a student killed by a Co. Kildare criminal who is now wanted by Australian cops for an alleged frenzied crime spree has said the Irish legal system should have stopped him leaving the country.
Police in Australia issued a 'wanted' notice this week for thug Patrick Farrell for seriously injuring a man he punched in a Sydney beer garden and a separate knife attack in which the victim was left with a severed ear and punctured spleen.
It is not the first time Farrell has come to the attention of law- enforcement officials.
In April 2013, Farrell (29) was sentenced to seven years in prison, with three-and-a-half suspended, for an unprovoked assault that led to the death of biomedical student Andrew Dolan (20).
And the Sunday World can today reveal how, on March 26th, 2016, following his release from prison for killing the young Leitrim man, he failed to comply with direction from gardaí at Leixlip Garda Station to give a breath specimen.
He would later be disqualified from driving for four years and fined €1,000.
Crucially, however, the suspended period of his manslaughter sentence was not reactivated - leaving him free to somehow later gain entry to Australia where he has allegedly committed a series of violent offences.
Informed of Farrell's conviction during the suspended portion of his sentence for manslaughter, Andrew Dolan's father Joe, said he was appalled the sentence hadn't been reactivated.
"I'm appalled to hear that … it adds insult to injury … it's an insult to our suffering and the memory of our son.
"If he was convicted, why wasn't he sent back to prison?"
In relation to the allegations against Farrell in Australia, Joe said he had initially been shocked and horrified when he learnt of them.
"When I became aware of all of this, it was very distressing news," he said.
"My first reaction was I just didn't want to know about it. Myself and my wife were very very upset.
"It's very apparent no lessons have been learned and it's utterly appalling that another family and relations of people have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of these assaults.
"After Andrew's death myself and my wife ran a campaign urging responsible behaviour and an end to the random violence - and one of the things we were pointing out was that if people misbehave then it can seriously limit their ability regards international travel.
"That doesn't seem to have happened in this situation and that doesn't make us look very good.
"There are questions that need to be answered."
"We went to court on 21 occasions over 29 months looking for justice for our son. What we got was law, and bad law at that. Hopefully, in Australia proper justice will prevail.
Earlier this week police in New South Wales issued a wanted notice for Farrell saying the Kildare man is being sought over the stabbing in Randwick last month which left 30-year-old Oliver Solan with a partially severed ear and also an assault on a man at Matraville in November last year.
Shocking CCTV footage allegedly shows the moment the Irish killer punched another man in a Sydney beer garden before going on the run after another frenzied knife attack.
As part of their probe, cops are now also investigating how Farrell was allowed into Australia despite spending three years in jail for the violent death of 20-year-old student Andrew in his hometown of Kildare in Ireland in 2013.
Sources say they are investigating the possibility that Farrell travelled on a passport belonging to a relative.
Officers began their manhunt for Farrell after a second alleged victim, Oliver Solan, was left in a pool of blood in a corridor in a Randwick apartment block in Sydney's east on August 29. Police allege Farrell was part of a group involved in the attack on Mr Solan.
Two other Irish people, Patrick Earle (23), and his girlfriend Katie Aileen Murtagh (26) have already been charged over the alleged attack.
CCTV of the attack in Matraville shows a verbal argument between Farrell and the victim before the Irishman allegedly hit him with a left-handed punch that knocked him unconscious.
Security officers helped the pub patron who fell flat on his back before being taken to hospital for two days
In the second attack in Randwick on August 29, Mr Solan was left with a severed ear and a punctured spleen which later had to be removed.
Earle, Murtagh and Mr Solan had been drinking together at the couple's home on the night of the alleged stabbing.
An argument between the two men ensued, with Mr Solan allegedly the first to attack Earle causing him a dislocated arm and cuts to his head before allegedly contacting his friend John Dunlea to ask for help.
At about 8.30pm, Mr Dunlea, along with two other Irishmen, Patrick Farrell and Christopher Morrison, arrived at the apartment complex where Murtagh let them in.
Mr Solan was then allegedly stabbed several times. CCTV images show him huddled in a pool of blood in a hallway of the apartment complex.
Farrell was 21 when he was jailed in Ireland for three-and-a-half years in 2013 for killing Andrew Dolan whom he assaulted as the young man pleaded not to be hit.
CCTV evidence shown to Mullingar Circuit Criminal Court showed Andrew putting his hands out pleading " don't hit me" before Farrell hit him twice, critically injuring him.
Judge Tony Hunt said Farrell "had administered two blows", one of which was "the final blow in the context of a violent assault of some duration".