| 3.7°C Dublin

shock attack Dublin man (23) pleads guilty to attacking elderly neighbour and teenage girl

Close

Courts stock

Courts stock

Courts stock

A DUBLIN man who attacked and threatened to kill a pensioner in his own home has also admitted to assaulting a teenage girl.

Dean Quigley will be sentenced next week for the separate attacks on his male neighbour (75) and the girl (17).

The female victim feared she would die during the assault as Quigley punched her and pulled her by the hair to the ground on a road in 2018.

Quigley, with an address at Temple Road, Blackrock, has also previously admitted to assault and trespass at his elderly neighbour’s home on two separate occasions in 2019.

Yesterday Quigley (23) appeared at Dublin Circuit Court where evidence was given of a separate assault a year earlier which he has also pleaded guilty to.

Detective Garda Robert Clifford said that the incident happened in the early hours of July 5, 2018, on the Stillorgan Road. The court heard that Quigley and the complainant, who was 17, had been in the city centre and were walking home along the N11 when they had an argument.

Det Gda Clifford said the altercation turned physical and Quigley punched the teen a number of times in the face.

“He also pulled her by the hair and dragged her to the ground, where he continued to punch her,” he told the court.

The girl photographed her injuries, which included a black eye, hair pulled out and bruising to her neck.

Drunk

Quigley was arrested but didn’t make any admissions in a garda interview. The court heard that the following day he returned to the garda station “quite drunk” and made some sort of admission.

In the woman’s victim impact statement, she said she continues to suffer nightmares and has constant anxiety that something might reoccur.

“Dean knows where my mother lives and has already showed up out of the blue,” she said, adding he is “unpredictable and dangerous, and easily capable of doing this again”.

She recalled being held down by Quigley and thinking she was going to die.

The woman also said that during the assault she thought of how her body would be identified.

The victim added that she has changed jobs and address several times since the assault and is still terrified of Quigley finding out where she is.

Det Gda Clifford told the court that, from his dealings with Quigley, when he is not under the influence of alcohol or substances the accused is quite civil.

The detective agreed with Marc Murphy, defending, that Quigley had left a voicemail on the victim’s phone after the assault, making admissions.

Mr Murphy handed in a letter of remorse to the court from his client, addressed to the victim. Quigley has a number of previous convictions.

Judge Karen O’Connor adjourned the matter to Thursday when she will sentence him over the assault and four other charges he is facing.

The court previously heard evidence of how Quigley twice trespassed into his elderly neighbour’s home, assaulting him the second time and telling the man he would return and kill him if he told anyone what had happened.

The man was found five days later by his daughter. “I cannot express how much fear I was in,” the man said.

Quigley has pleaded guilty to trespassing and criminal damage on July 7, 2019, and trespassing and assault on October 11, 2019.

Online Editors


Privacy